You can type here any text you want

Runs rough, need advice.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1985BuickGN

Hello, another newbie question. I've got a tune session scheduled for next tues. with Harry at Precision, so hopefully will be in great shape after that. But for now, I just want to get the car to run better. When cold, it starts up (fuel pump takes for ever to kick-in, 15-20 cranks sometimes) and sometimes dies right away, but usually stays running after 2-3 starts. If I touch the gas before it fully warms up, it stumbles real bad, and forget about driving it, it just hesitates and runs real rough until it's hot. Even when it's warm, it still has a slight stumbling problem on normal accelleration. I've been playing with the VE tables, but it does'nt seem to help. Just need a little direction, Thanks.

Sounds like you need to look at several areas. Cranking fuel, Coolant enrichment, possibly IAC starting position, idle parameters, etc.
I understand you wanting to learn everything and would be more than happy to lend you some help over the phone, just give me a call. I wouldn't get to wrapped up trying to fix it if you have scheduled an appointmant with Harry. He can fix all of it very quickly.

Yeah, I figured he would, but I have to drive it there and I just want to make sure it makes it there. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I take it over there, if I know the basics, I should be able to absorb more of the advanced stuff with him. I also don't want to hurt the motor, it's about an hour and a half drive with nothing but corn fields all around. Thanks for the reply, I'll try your suggestions.

Update

Took the car to Precision today, Harry is the MAN!!! Really runs well now, got rid of the turbo fluttering problem with a new compressor housing, and he found a plug that appeared to have been dropped or smashed shut, don't know how that happened, cause I put them in. Makes ya feel like a real dumb a$$, oh well, at least it's right now. The guy is first class all the way, really took his time and did it right. Had a big smile :D on my face all the way home. Thanks again Harry.

Paul.

Great news. Hopefully, you were able to "absorb" as much as you wanted to.

Back