You can type here any text you want

Russell stainless braided brake lines

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Slowly putting my GN back together with new SSBC calipers, rotors and Russell flexible lines. Not happy with how they connect to the factory frame brackets. They don't fit into the bracket like the factory ones do. Once you install the clip on the solid brake line side of the bracket the line can still move around. Am I the only having this problem?? Guess I will have to put a shim between the clip and the bracket to take up the slack?? Just sort of pisses me off that they don't put a little extra time into making sure these fit perfectly, especially since we are talking about brakes!:mad:

Also noticed that the bolt for the brake line at the caliper is now limited the ability of the steering to turn all the way. The bolt is actually hitting the frame at almost full turn. Now the suspension is dropping a bit due to the car being on jackstands so hopefully there will be clearance once it is back on the ground.

Hey Mark, I'm planning on buying the SSBC rotors and calipher too. How did they fit, and how do you like them? Did you buy them directly from SSBC?

Got mine from Summit with the powder coating option. Pretty pricey. I ended up breaking one of the damn anti rattle clips and customer service from SSBC sucked. They wouldn't replace it and charged me $7 for one. Told them to send me two as I wanted a spare and they ended up charging me $27 total to ship them from NY to CT. Tried to find out if there was a stock application for the clips but they said it was special part made for them.:rolleyes:

Haven't driven the car with the new setup on as I am not done. Only have a few minutes here and there to work on it. Besides it is winter anyway.

did you use brand new clips to hold the lines into the frame brackets? the Russell lines i used on my Nova fit as good as any stock replcement hose i've ever put in anything.

i just did the blazer brakes and russel lines and there is a jam nuts that clamp to the bracket. yah there is no leg for the line to sit in so it don't turn, but after tightning the nuts it didn't move, i even put red lock tite on the threads.

did you use brand new clips to hold the lines into the frame brackets? the Russell lines i used on my Nova fit as good as any stock replcement hose i've ever put in anything.

Didn't use new clips as my car has low mileage. I did however bend them a bit to try and get a tight fit but I could still move it a bit. Ended up making some stainless steel shims to fit in back of the clip and it is nice a solid now.

In response to the other post, the only way my lines are retained in the factory bracket is with the clip, no jamb nut except for the rear line which I haven't messed with yet.

I just think for this kind of money they could make the fitting correctly.

Still have to see if the banjo fitting bolt on the caliper is going to hit the frame once the car is on the tires instead of jackstands.

And yes, the powder coating option is over $100. :eek: A181R is the proper number for it. (RED)

There is a 90% chance the fitting will hit if you used the bolts supplied with the calipers from ssbc. Get someone to bounce the car with the wheel turned full left. I told SSBC about this, they said they never heard of that problem? I bought my lines from G body parts and they have shorter bolt heads, and look like they won't hit so far. You really need 2-3 people to check it out bouncing the car

There is a 90% chance the fitting will hit if you used the bolts supplied with the calipers from ssbc. Get someone to bounce the car with the wheel turned full left. I told SSBC about this, they said they never heard of that problem? I bought my lines from G body parts and they have shorter bolt heads, and look like they won't hit so far. You really need 2-3 people to check it out bouncing the car

Actually it is a 100% chance it is going to hit because it DOES. Like I said previously, I have to drop the car down on the ground to see what it looks like. Probably won't be a big problem since most of us don't hit bumps when at full lock. The way the car sits right now on the jackstands a shorter bolt won't make a difference. It will still hit before the spindle ear hit the bracket that is riveted to the lower control arm. Don't know why the couldn't put the hose connection on the bottom of the caliper instead of out the side????

Reminds me of a set of lowered control arms I bought for my Chevelle back in the day before dropped spindles. Got the car all together and the way they designed the control arms I couldn't turn the car half as much as it did originally. Needless to say the company isn't in business anymore.:biggrin:

Can't get it back together until I get the replacement $27 antirattle spring from them.:mad:

Mark, I have G bodyparts ss brake lines and I was intending to purchase the SSBC calipers and rotors. Are you saying there is a fitment problem with these brakes?

Mark, I have G bodyparts ss brake lines and I was intending to purchase the SSBC calipers and rotors. Are you saying there is a fitment problem with these brakes?

All I am saying at this point is the bolt for the banjo fitting of the brake line will not allow full lock to lock turning of the steering. My car doesn't have any weight on it right now as it is up on jackstands so it may change once I drop it on the ground. Will take some pics to show what I am talking about.

Here is a pic of the offending bolt. With the suspension hanging in this position it is still another 1/2" from making full lock.

Attachments

• bolthittingframe.jpg
    bolthittingframe.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 583
It's real close but it does clear, I just confirmed it.

Attachments

• I3010364.jpg
    I3010364.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 575
Is that at full lock? On the ground? One of these would probably do the trick. $60 each from Aeroquip.:eek:

Attachments

• hotprod_7.gif
    hotprod_7.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 553
Is that at full lock? On the ground? One of these would probably do the trick. $60 each from Aeroquip.:eek:

Yep thats full lock on the ground. I bounced on it too. I noticed as the suspension compresses, the caliper moves away from the frame.
Maybe we can still modify these with a simple bench grinder to get more clearance. As long as the head is not hollow (which I doubt) we can give them a trim. With the fitting removed we can confirm how deep the bore is with a any migshift depth gauge. Just go easy and keep it cool. Prolly not a good idea to overheat. ;)

Rick

I never even noticed any bolt clearance problem when I put mine on...I was more concerned with interference of the brake line itself...but I've had the SSBC calipers on both my cars for years now with zero problems...I do have stock brake lines on though not stainless...but I did use the SSBC caliper bolts

Glad you got it straight. Please tell us how the stopping power is with teh SSBC calipers as I amd interested and have been on the fence with the conversion.

I also did th the SS flex lines and was very happy with quicker brakes and firmer pedal.

Back