You can type here any text you want

Rusty Frame Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BeanSS

SlickSquid
Hey guys didn't see an exterior or body mod section so I figured I'd drop this question here.

My 83 has bad rust through on the left rear side right around by the gas tank.
I've checked the rest of the frame and it seems good. My question is
It's about 6 to 8 inches or rust with the rust holes along the way to help keep the gas cool and saving me weight for when I got to the track :biggrin:
if I can get ahold of a frame (which I can ) should I replace the whole thing
Or
Have that section completely hacked off and replace it?

Like I said the rest of the frame looks pretty good just wanting to take care of some things before I get into mods and things.

If the frame is only rusted in that spot just cut and splice that piece.Swapping out the frame is a nightmare. I have one if needed The last offer was 50 bucks or i can cut off the part needed.

I'll guarantee you there is more rust than that. If the car is decent, pull the frame out and fix it. Paint it up and put it back under. It's worth the work when you have everything finished. It will look like a brand new 20 yr old car underneath:cool:

^^^ Jesse really knows what he's talking about. His looked kinda like a sive. LOL

I'll guarantee you there is more rust than that. If the car is decent, pull the frame out and fix it. Paint it up and put it back under. It's worth the work when you have everything finished. It will look like a brand new 20 yr old car underneath:cool:

X2.....been there, done that.;)
p.s. If you need a set of good rear frame rails, I have a pair on a frame that is wadded up in the front. LMK ---Keith

Thanks for the replies guys and turbonut85 Im going to get under there tomorow after work and peep the scene really good so I just may be hitting you up !

a ball peen hammer is your friend in the quest of frame rust. Thats how I found the rotted spot on the rear frame rail.

if the funds allow i would recommend powder coating as opposed to painting sure it cost a little more but if you want something that looks trick its worth it plus it comes in all kinds of crazy colors these days and holds up better no chippin or bubbling as with paint sand blast it take it to the powder coaters and they do the rest

Definitely powdercoat it if you can afford it. I'm a broke ass so I just used por15. I recommend painting over the por also. I didn't and I'm starting to regret it already. Not due to rust, but it will chip if jabbed hard enough

How much $ will you have tied up in grinding/sanding/por15/topcoat?

I had my frame blasted and then used the marine clean and metal ready.The por 15 should be painted over if it is going to be in direct sunlight it will discolor. I had used rust bullit at first and that stuff sucked.peeled right off.I have $300.00 in mine with the blasting. I called a powder coater in rockford il and they wanted $800.00 to coat it.If i did it again I would send it to the powder coater.That stuff will never come off the garage floor

If you decide to have it powder coated, Shop around. I found a wide discprepancy in prices from shop to shop. I didn't have something as big as a frame done, but I found a shop that did my f & r bumpers, with guards, for $56 (already blasted), and my wheelwell trim for $106 (they media blasted).

It helps if you live in an area were people race circle track a lot; They do many racecar chassis and other parts in black, So it lowers the price if you need small stuff black powdercoated- They just put it into the booth with the racecar frames. That's how I got my parking light bezels done for free :D .

John

I could have got mine done at a place that makes farm trailers. Coulda had it blasted and coated for 400 bucks. Just didn't have the money:mad:

$400 is what I charge for blasting and coating.
$600 for blast/zinc primer/topcoat. all in powder.

So it is not far off.

I paid 900 bucks for the frame, drive shaft, trans crossmember, rear end and ALL the susp components. Blasted all of it myself. Well worth it.

$400 is what I charge for blasting and coating.
$600 for blast/zinc primer/topcoat. all in powder.

So it is not far off.

Damn...If I still stayed in Decatur I would have definitely hit you up come this October!

Back