S&W .500 Magnum vs Watermelons.

That sucks Bruce.

The indoor gun store/gun range I go to down here is pretty cool. They do have the right to inspect your ammo because they won't allow you to use steel core ammo because it sparks off the back stop, but otherwise they will allow you to use whatever type of ammo. I usually buy 9mm ammo at Walmart (Federal or Remmington) and it is much cheaper than the stuff the gun range sells.

Yeah, it does suck. Wish there was a range around here like the one you have down there in Florida....little too far to drive for target practice at this time:rolleyes:

I got some ammo last week at Walmart and the price was $32 for a box of 50 .44 Remington Magnums, 220 grains. Going to get some more tomorrow, why, I have no idea as I can't shoot the damn gun.....was looking at Shane's back-yard target range and I have room for something like that on my property.....that would be so neat to do....Shane did a great job of making that backstop and I just can't get it out of my mind....maybe next year after I take out a second mortgage to pay the nice oil company to keep our house warm this winter.....

Yeah, this range up here won't even let you bring reloads....they caught some sap a few weeks ago with marked boxes of their own that the sap bought, but came back with the same box with his own ammo...I have no idea how they caught him. Banned from the range for good.

Shooting the .44 out in my yard looks more and more enticing every day, but my safety concious wonderful wife keeps me in check..:rolleyes: Three acres of land is great with thousands of trees, but bullets travel very, very far and richochet....I wouldn't want to be responsible for injuring an innocent person because of my own stupidity....I just couldn't live with myself...so....(sigh) it's back to polishing my .44 (Big Barkey) and just looking at it....it even intimidates me! My wife got me a real nice Galco hoster for it for Valentine's day, though it took over three months before I received it..(back order)

Bruce '87 Grand National

That sucks on the range taken advantage of folks. To bad a competitor doesn't come in and close them down... I wouldn't hold my breath though, I checked on the setup and you are looking 35k per lane w/o the building:eek:

I bought some 500's from a guy in TX of GB for $1 each. I know that is alot but beats $2-$3:biggrin: Got some 700grs too:eek:

Far as the back stop goes, put an ad on craigslist or something like that for a dump site for DIRT! You may be surprised at the people that dig holes and have no where to move the dirt too that pay to dump it. After a while if you get enough you can have you a nice back stop.

For surrounding the backstop you can use tires too if you have enough dirt you really don't need this. Again you should be able to get free as most dumps charge to shred them now. If you use tires I would fill the inside of each one with dirt and then a foot on either side is a good idea too as some of your smaller calibers "may" ricochet off the rubber...

I thought about that range for a long time. There are a few ways to do it. This was the only one the wife wouldn't have a fit about being in eye sight;):biggrin:

That's a good idea about the dirt....will keep it in mind....problem: how to get it here? Guess renting a truck would help.

My wife is like yours.....she loved the backstop you designed, and I thought it was terrific! Still can't stop thinking about it. I don't think my wife would go for the tire idea as she did express some thing like how ugly it would look in the back yard....this was my original idea, old tires filled with dirt. But after one look at your design it was pure genius.

Your wife is very smart.....give her an appreciative hug.....old tires with dirt only appeal to the men of this world.....your back stop appeals to the whole neighborhood.

I wish someone would put that range out of business but I doubt it....it's always crowded on the summer weekends and lots of times during the week....makes me actually think that no one has a job but filty rich! Exasperating.

Bruce '87 Grand National