same charging prob, question

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
I have the no charge problem. I pulled the dash apart. Light bulb is continuous. The resistor in the twist in bulb holder shows resistance. I put the bulb in the holder with it removed from the dash and is doesn't have continuity across the two places it touches the back of the dash. I couldn't see how to pull the rear cover off of the bulb holder so I thought I'd ask before I break it. Am I wrong to think it should show resistance across those dash prong? TIA

I can take some pix if it would help dianose. Also I did a search and lots of reading. Might just buy that jump harness from caspers.
Anyone have some thoughts?

Yeah, you should see something across those two prongs. Are you making good connection when you probe the contacts? Maybe they're tarnished. Or maybe one of the metal pieces in the holder is broke and it becomes an open as it bends when the bulb is inserted. You could try using another holder/bulb if you have one. Might want to use the same number bulb.

Where can I get a replacement holder? Is this an auto part place piece? I was going to go and get a plug for the alternator and put 12v to it to see if I can get it to charge. I am hoping getting it to charge will make the power master work. If not a vacuum swap or maybe a hydroboost is in my near future as the brakes don't work either. Just another bump in my journey.

TIA

Don't know where to get another holder like the original. I talked to AC Delco this morning and they said they don't show a p/n for it anymore. Looked at Napa, etc online, couldn't find any either. Why can't you just get another holder like one of the other ones? Like one of the turn signal bulb holders or one of the illumination bulbs, just to try? It won't have a resistor built into it but that won't matter as long as the bulb is ok.
If you get another plug for the alternator, don't put +12V directly to the L terminal, the terminal the brown wire goes to originally. You'll likely damage the regulator. That circuit needs some resistance between the L terminal and +12V. Put a small bulb (like the dash light) between L and +12V.
Sounds like that fix from Caspers would be less headaches maybe...

$42, or possibly burn up an alternator that may or may not work. I guess ill order the casper's harness. There is a resistor in that bulb holder. I guess ill hit the parts for sale section and see if one can be had used. I do have so resistors from when I was in the fire alarm business. Not really wanting to hurt the alt though. Thanks for your thoughts.

On the way home from the gainful employment yesterday, I swung into the part house(o'rielly's for those wondering). The counter guy and I played twenty questions, and he was able to produce a pic of the 120 amp alternator in our car. This counter person was quite sure the small wire on the rectangular plug went to the starter, and that there is a fusable link in that wire. I explained that the wiring diagram I had showed that wire going to the volt light in the dash but he could not be swayed to my way. He suggested bringing the alyernator in for a "free" test on their bench. Is there a down side to that?

I did go ahead and order the casper's harness to jump voltage to the alternator.
I guess ill ramp up and take the alternator off and take it down there and get it tested.

The guy at the parts counter is simply wrong. The wire does not go to the starter. Getting it tested wont hurt anything, although they're not alway 100% correct. Sometimes show good when they're not.
The caspers field fix should have you up and running if all's well in the alternator.

The guy at the parts counter is simply wrong. The wire does not go to the starter. Getting it tested wont hurt anything, although they're not alway 100% correct. Sometimes show good when they're not.
The caspers field fix should have you up and running if all's well in the alternator.

While we both know the guy is wrong, arguing with him is like wrastlin' with a pig in a mud hole. After a few minutes you realize the pig does this as entertainment. Not really worth disputing his knowledge. Just take the good parts of his input and keep moving forward.

I am hoping to harness gets it charging. Thank you for your response. Next big project is getting the brakes to work. Might try to do a hydroboost conversion. Just have to find a big block truck or astro van at the wrecking yard.

Yeah, the guy is full of ****. Print out the pic I attached here and see what he says when you prove him wrong. ;) Hopefully the fix from John will get you going...

David

Attachments

• 8A-30-1.jpg
    8A-30-1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 168
All right, after another two rounds of twenty questions we got to the SPX alternator test stand . We then did another round of ten questions and me rumaging through a drawer or two of their test station to find the connector he didn't have. He tested it three times or maybe there are three tests but it came with a big green pass on the screen each ti
me.

I then moved on to the bulb holder in the dash. They had a replacement but it doesn't have the resistor like the original. Will this replacement work or do I need one like the original?

Up side. Casper's harness has been ordered.

Well, the casper jumper got me 12v to the alternator plug. Now the silly thing won't start. It turns over fine but doesn't fire up. Before it fired right up but the alternator wouldn't charge now no start. I am getting no trouble codes. Is this an easy or am I in for a bunch of run around?

Off to search and read up on no start conditions.

For those wondering I got her running again. All it took was a fuel pressure regulator, and some patience to get it set where the pressure is where I want it. Only had to try two different ones and remove the one that worked best a couple of times "adjusting" it. AND the alternator is putting out 14v on the terminal to the rear. Casper jumper works great but no alt light in the dash. Might have to look into a volt meter or ammeter. On to the brakes.

hey do you have a part number for the jumper harness you ordered? I'm have the same issue with my cluster and just want my alternator to work correctly.