You can type here any text you want

Scanmaster and Direct Scan Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

prokeep15

How many frames per second do you guys get with a scanmaster? Also I know DS is better but don't I need to cut into my ecm? And does anyone get faster than 1fps with t-link? I think its just my processor not really being capable with the software since it looks like it wants a P-4 not my AMD.

No cutting for the direct scan. The direct scan is 10x faster than the "scanmaster", BUT you need to be driving around while looking sideways at a laptop flopping around. The scanmaster is good because it's always "on", and you can quickly check coolant temps, TPS, voltage, etc, etc.

Direct scan is for tuning at the track. It may be around 17 frames/sec.
Scanmaster is 1.5/sec.

You have to modify the case on the computer. If your concerned about touching the OEM computer. buy a spare to butcher... I mean cut up.

The problem with Tlink and a scanmaster is they get info from the ALDL. The refresh rate is very slow on the ALDL.

DS goes rite into the ecm. Update is 18 frames per second. And allows recording all of the sensors up to 1.5 minutes.

HTH

I have used all 3. The DS is by far the fastest and provides the most info. But it is a hassle to use IMO. I think if you have a 11-13 second car a T-Link will be good enough. The ScanMaster is good for everyday use. But not that great for tuning at the track or fine tuning your car.

Sweet6 said:
The ScanMaster is good for everyday use. But not that great for tuning at the track or fine tuning your car.

Up until a year ago, one of the fastest 109 block cars in the country, Roy and Laz's Buick was tuned using a scanmasterII.. 9.4's at 147. No direct scan either. Plenty of other cars in the 9's on just a scanmasterII.

Guess you learn to watch it.. learn to look at time slips.. and make decisions.

Ever heard the saying you can do a lot with a little.. :wink:

Was that the only scan tool they used? I know Steve Y, the guy who made Roy and Laz's chip, is not a big fan of tuning by O2 volts.

Razor,

Does your local track allow you to have your laptop in the car while you run the car.

I understand the reasoning behind the NHRA rules saying that the laptop would be a projectile in the event of an accident. Just wondered how you may have got around this. Bandimere told Me that the laptop could not go down the track unless secured. Really don't feel putting a laptop mount in the car for the few runs I make.

Sweet6 said:
Was that the only scan tool they used? I know Steve Y, the guy who made Roy and Laz's chip, is not a big fan of tuning by O2 volts.

Yes, that was the only scan tool. And time slip data. Ya know, 330, 660, 1000, 1320, 1/8 MPH, 1320 MPH.

Steve has his ways ;) As do I, and Laz.. I've seen first hand Laz do his thing.. what can I say.. I cant argue with results ;)

SlowTTA said:
Razor,

Does your local track allow you to have your laptop in the car while you run the car.

I understand the reasoning behind the NHRA rules saying that the laptop would be a projectile in the event of an accident. Just wondered how you may have got around this. Bandimere told Me that the laptop could not go down the track unless secured. Really don't feel putting a laptop mount in the car for the few runs I make.

Your in a pickle. My track only cares you dont have a beer in one hand.

That scanmaster is looking better huh :)

Maybe have some straps to affix the laptop to the passenger seat?

I have a logger for my FAST.. havent installed it :redface:

My track only cares you dont have a beer in one hand.

That's basically the way Mid-Michigan Motorplex was a couple of years ago :)

I imagine Vegas is going to be the same as Bandimere :(

Back