SD2 chip for the stock NB ?

TurboTdr3.8

I was wondering how far away is the SD2 NB chip is away I have a box stock TB that would like to put one on . I know TurboDave has been testing one with some great results .

It's not really an SD2 chip specific to the NB O2. What it actually is is a program feature added to the Powerlogger software (easilly updated) that allows for narrowband tracking during cruise conditions. Along with the feature addition, the operator needs to make some minor changes to the target air fuel (TAF) table. I got brave one day and tried to make it work during idle, but that was a failure (wasn't meant to do that anyway). The wideband does a good job of tracking TAF during idle anyway.
It was during cruise that I disliked the way the wideband tracked. It just couldn't keep up with the throttle changes necessary during normal cruise, especially at lower speeds like 35-50+, because where I live there's no such thing as a flat piece of roadway, so Bob and Eric developed this little NB tracking feature.
During cruise it works flawlessly, at least for me, and the lean cruise feature also seems to work perfectly as designed.

But, as to when they are going to release the feature to the general public, I have no answer.

if you purchase the SD2, I will get you the files needed to run narrowband. The "official" release of the update will be in the spring, as I want to finish up a couple small things. Note that the things I'm doing can be freely downloaded by all SD2 users, as they are just some new features in the PowerLogger and PLC software.

Bob

here is a PL file that will run the narrowband closed loop. set the option value to 2. Then you need to set the target afr to 14.5 in the ranges you
want the closed loop to activate. An example is shown below.

Note, when you reflash the PL, you will need to reload your tune, so be sure to save it first.

Bob
pl-targetafr.jpg

Attachments

• PL043ae.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 83
Not sure if that's Bob's table, but here's mine. As you can see, we all do things just a little different.

target AF table.jpg

OOPS!!! Sorry, that's an older one before I expanded the 14.5 range, here's my latest.

target afr table.jpg

Very good info , as Dave says each set up maybe a little different as no 2 engines are the same and what one engine likes another does not like , that's the beauty of this chip to be able to do that .

Bob you are talking about this option , Set to 9.8 to turn OFF closed loop, but still use a target A/F from the PL AFR table. ?

No, he's talking about the Options box on the Parameters page of the tune files. I keep all my bocks 2, 3, and 4 set to 9.7 (097)

I that box there are a couple choices as of now. setting it to 1 turns on anti theft. Setting it to 2 turns on NB tracking for cruise loads. And of course, setting it to 3 would have both anti theft and NB tracking turned on.
I keep mine at 2.

Dave, What is the attribute that changes the system back to WB correction? MAP reading? TPS volts? RPM? And for those without a WB, does it just use the NB at WOT? Thanks. Steve

if you want the narrowband to be used at all, set the option parameter to 2 or 3, and set the (top row) BLM cells (2, 3 and 4) to either 97 or 98,
so that the target afr table is enabled.

then, any time the target afr is 14.5 (14.6 and 14.7 also work) the narrow band will activate, otherwise, the wideband will activate (as long as the controlling BLM cell is 97)

make sense?

Bob

Yep that is understandable, Thanks for the clear up

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Dave, What is the attribute that changes the system back to WB correction? MAP reading? TPS volts? RPM? And for those without a WB, does it just use the NB at WOT? Thanks. Steve

With the NB tracking turned on (2 in the option box) the system will attempt to track the narrowband when the rpm and load are in any TAF cell that is set to 14.5-14.7
There are other things that will trip it back to WB tracking such as load, etc.
I personally wouldn't recommend trying to run SD at WOT on a narrowband O2, although I think it can be done. If and I mean only IF I understand the setup, if there's no WB, and you go to WOT, the system will try and fuel according to internal chip commands, just like any other chip does. They'll correct me if I understand wrong.

Thanks Bob and Dave, it all makes sense. Do you recommend changing to option 2 and using the NB for AFR 14.5-14.7 or just leave it all to the WB? In other words, which is better?

I can relay this much info.... If you are even the least bit concerned about fuel mileage during cruise conditions, the narrowband will yield FAR better numbers!!
Drivability wise, it's pretty close.

Let us know when you're getting ready to go out and do some driving with NB tracking in operation. I'll throw up some screen shots of what you should expect to see on the graph display while monitoring!! :cool: That way you won't be surprised by what you see.
That goes for anybody else that may be thinking of trying NB tracking.

Here's a teaser:
closed loop correction.jpg

Want see how well lean cruise works?? Here ya go:

lean cruise, nb cl off.jpg

I'm getting close on my warm idle settings!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

warm idle.jpg