Search for Stage II motor

Larry

Posted this in Parts Wanted- thought it might get a response here. "A very good friend of mine is looking for a stage II motor. Off center, preferably with heads. He currently does not have access to the internet to post and check on availability. He lives in Buffalo NY- anything available out there? " Larry

Originally posted by Larry
Posted this in Parts Wanted- thought it might get a response here. "A very good friend of mine is looking for a stage II motor. Off center, preferably with heads. He currently does not have access to the internet to post and check on availability. He lives in Buffalo NY- anything available out there? " Larry
This a strange coincedence I was up in that area supporting a customer by the name of Mike Decker last spring & bought a stage II off center motor from there. I didn't look at it too close because it came highly endorsed by a well known Buick guru. When I got it home & took a good look I almost fainted. Between that & my header experience for that same motor I now remember why I gave up racing. Just be careful what you buy. Theres a lot of junk out there.

Re: Re: Search for Stage II motor

Originally posted by turbolou
This a strange coincedence I was up in that area supporting a customer by the name of Mike Decker last spring & bought a stage II off center motor from there. I didn't look at it too close because it came highly endorsed by a well known Buick guru. When I got it home & took a good look I almost fainted. Between that & my header experience for that same motor I now remember why I gave up racing. Just be careful what you buy. Theres a lot of junk out there.

Lou what was wrong with it. :confused:

What's out there? How about blocks with thin cylinders, core shift, crazy bearing journal diameters, odd ball deck height, off center casting #'s with on-center bores(I have one), blocks that were pulled off the line at Buick for quality reasons and slid out the back door, just to name a few things to look for.

Buyers beware of the "good" deal blocks, there is usually a reason why.

Good lesson: If you buy a block that has been used, you should get a supporting sonic test done and have the block dimensionally checked out, of course at your expense, but it could be a cheap insurance policy.