Seasonal Garage Humdity ??

Little6pack

Went out to scope out my GN today to place the trickle charger
on the HUNK O CRAP Die hard gold battery that my GN came with.

I noticed since we seem to be coming out of the COLD SNAP to more moderate temps the garage was Damp & 38 degrees.
It is about 43 out and raining..

So lugged up the dehumidifier to the old lady's dislike asking what i was doing.. I told her I need to run the dehumidifier
now that we will be having more damp winter/spring days.

What can I buy (cheap) that would measure the humidty so I know to crank up the machine.

Do they make a gauge? what is it called? where could I buy it.

The gauge you are thinking of is called a hygrometer. You can usually find one at Wal-Mart and it is usually sold attached to a barometer and a themometer. Growing up my dad was nuts about the amount of moisture inside the house. He ran the dehumidifier nonstop and I remember waking up with cotton mouth and nose bleeds.

SERENITY NOW!!

James

In the winter you usually add moisture indoors up here in the Northeast.

It gets very dry with most forms of heating. Hot air is the worst many systems have moisture adders built in.

If your garage is sealed up rather good the dehumidifier will work for days like today, if not you will be sucking moisture out of the entire state of NH. ;)

Acutally I only replied to say I went through 3 hunks of crap Diehard Gold batteries before I wised up. About 10 years worth of aggravation. :(

The problem is I have to open the garage door to get my trash barrels out or drag them through my family room.

The Garage is SEMI SEALED, It has insulation between the 2x4's on 3/4 of the walls. Need to buy more & then my spring project is going to install plastic wrap with drywall sheets to seal up & brighten my garage.

The ceiling is 10" to the rafters and more space after that to roof. No insulation there. I am going to by those blue tarps at walmart & staple gun them across the rafters.

concrete floors

They hold an incredible amount of moisture. Also their temerature is slow to change so with the air temperature differences comes your moisture. To cure this problem you would have to heat the gararge or the floor which accomplishes the same thing. A dehumidifier would use alot of electricity, similar to running an air conditioner while not really addressing the cause. Drew

No concrete

My mistake. A heated environment will reduce condensation. Drew:)