series II 3800 balance question

Brad Zeidler

I'm putting an L67 into a car and using a manual tranny. Taking a flywheel for a late model 3800 powered Camaro, What is the difference(if any) on the counterweight of the auto tranny flexplates between the L67 and L36(Supercharged and n/a)?

I'm not sure but seems like I've read that the front wheel drive engines were balanced differently than the rear wheel drive engines. Something about being on a "vertical" plane or a horizontal plane".

not sure really i know you don't want to use the L67 flex plate with the camaro verter........

there is also a balance shaft in these motors....

the block and crank are the same the head only differ in the fact the injectors are in the heads in FWD cars and the intakes are different

Okay,Iguess I'm going to have to start at the beginning for some of you. A crankshaft has what's called counterweights on it. When an engines rotating assembly is balanced, the weight of the pistons, rods, balancer, flexplate or flywheel, rod bearings,rings are all taken into account when the crank is balance. These are what's called an externally balanced crankshaft because the damper/pulley, and the flexplate/flywheel have a counterweight on them. Basically can someone tell me the weight of the counterweight on the flexplate of a regular 3800 and one from a supercharged 3800.. Not sure about that horiontal/vertical plane answer. Which engine is the one running standing on it's end? haha:wink:

i guess i'm missing the big deal

MANY people have taken the L67 motor and put them in camaros with the RWD flex plate without issues

my flex pate is 5lb or less

Well Ive heard of people bolting them on with no vibration problems but you might have to get the flywheel balanced to the same specs as the flexplate. If its going to be a rear wheel drive vehicle, I would think you would have more problems with the intake/throttle body since it would now be towards the rear of the engine bay. I attatched a link since other people have also had this question!

L67 to Manual Gearbox anyone done it ? - 3800Pro.com Forum

Well Ive heard of people bolting them on with no vibration problems but you might have to get the flywheel balanced to the same specs as the flexplate. If its going to be a rear wheel drive vehicle, I would think you would have more problems with the intake/throttle body since it would now be towards the rear of the engine bay. I attatched a link since other people have also had this question!

L67 to Manual Gearbox anyone done it ? - 3800Pro.com Forum
just put the camaro intakes/heads on it and the camaro tranny bolts up

not hard

I made an elbow to turn the tb off the back of the supercharger and face it towards the front, wasn't really that hard.

But then how will the m90 bolt on? And if you dont want to bolt on the m90 then why use the l67 to begin with?
i only know one person trying the M90 bolt up and it costing a lot of time and money..... and custom fabbing... plus the cowl is in the way and needs cut

L67 = stronger rods and 8.5:1 CR, l36 = 9.4:1 CR

common swap for the fbody, better for boost bottom end at less then $1000.

i only know one person trying the M90 bolt up and it costing a lot of time and money..... and custom fabbing... plus the cowl is in the way and needs cut

L67 = stronger rods and 8.5:1 CR, l36 = 9.4:1 CR

common swap for the fbody, better for boost bottom end at less then $1000.

The bottom end is pretty strong, the only weak point that I know of us the pistons. But once I switched over to JE forged aluminum pistons, I ran as much nitrous as I wanted with no more worries. Pretty much bullet proof!

The bottom end is pretty strong, the only weak point that I know of us the pistons. But once I switched over to JE forged aluminum pistons, I ran as much nitrous as I wanted with no more worries. Pretty much bullet proof!
the stock L67 bottom end is running low 9's

just don't go lean or Konck and it won't chip the piston laid

This motor isn't going into an fbody. I'm putting it in an 87 Shelby Charger converted to reardrive. Love the bodystyle, but that frontwheel drive horsesh// had to go. Trying to get it running by Car Craft here in July. Also can anyone reflash my pcm to delete the VATS and autotranny functions?

This motor isn't going into an fbody. I'm putting it in an 87 Shelby Charger converted to reardrive. Love the bodystyle, but that frontwheel drive horsesh// had to go. Trying to get it running by Car Craft here in July. Also can anyone reflash my pcm to delete the VATS and autotranny functions?
what year PCM?