setting time and fave stations on factory 86 radio

6gunn

high on gas fumes
I've tried to no avail to set the time and preset stations on the factory non EQ radio in my 86 GN. Every time I press the preset stations(1-5) it goes from the station I want to preset, to the default station. Any ideas? Also, how do you set the time?

Once you tune it, I think you push set then push the button you want for that station. As for time, the radio should be off, then push the set button, then you push scan to set the hour and seek to set the minutes. I hope that's right, I'm just going off memory.

There isn't a button that says set. The top knob says "Prog" but pressing it just switches between the time and current radio station. It did nothing with the unit turned off.
Here's a pic of the radio.

radio_zpsc688f7a2.jpg

I believe that model is a "pull to set" for the 4 FM presets, IIRC.

HTH - Jimmy

Thanks, that did it! Guess I'll just disconnect the battery at 12pm to set the time. Hope this thing doesn't keep memory for long.

Ok, looks like disconnecting the battery sets the time to 10:00 and not 12:00. Odd.

From my 1986 Grand Prix owners manual for the ETR radio w/cassette player:

SCAN button sets the hour.

SEEK button sets the minute.

Both buttons are "push to set".

There is no AM/PM setting...12 hour only.

Cheers - Jimmy

So, I tried pushing the scan and seek buttons with the radio off. No dice. Then tried pulling them. That worked! To sum everything up, set time with radio off by pulling the scan and seek buttons. Set presets by tuning to station then pulling the button(1-4) you want. Thanks for the help!

Pull to set - Brilliant!

Glad to help - Jimmy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app