You can type here any text you want

Severe Engine Knock & Chirp

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

81 Regal Man

Hi, all. I will have a sound clip uploaded in about a week when I get my camera back from a friend who is borrowing it. Anyhow, here is my issue. It all started about a month ago when the oil pump failed and the cylinders went dry. I immediately turned the car off. The engine is a 1981 3.8 Carbureted V6 Non-Turbo.

I can still start the car without an issue. Of course, the oil pump has been replaced, oil and filter have been changed, and motor honey was placed in the engine to elminate the light knock that occurred before. The engine did well with the motor honey and only knocked at high RPM, but now it has turned into a premanent and very loud knock that is now accompanied by a slight chirping / squeaking noise. My best guess is that the issue is a spun rod bearing that is causing the rod to knock up against the cylinder wall and scrape which is my hunch as to the cause of this chirping / squeaking noise. I just need some input and advice on what to do.

I can get a set of H-Beam Connecting Rods with the bearings for around $45 and do the work myself. I just dont wanna start tearing apart the engine just yet, because I am unsure as to whether or not it would be more cost efficent to replace the 231 or swap it with a 305. The engine is all original and has a total of 71,007 original miles on it as well as the trans and the rest of the car. I have a friend with a 305 that is willing to literally give me the engine for free, but I know that with a swap, comes alot of work, such as cross-members, harnessing, and all of that good stuff if I am correct.

Also, I do know that a 305 probably will not bolt up to the Turbo 200 Tranny that is in my Regal right now and even if it did bolt up, I know that 305 would chew the Turbo 200 tranny up like bubble gum and it would not last. So I also need suggestions for a transmission swap if I am going to put a 305 in the Regal.

I have never done a 305 swap into a G-Body, so any advice, tips, comments, or input would be greatly appreciated.

Like I mentioned previously, a sound clip will be added to this post in the coming weeks.

Thanks in advance.
-Terence.

There are several 305's created over the years. If it is a TBI, you would need the pcm and harness and in my opinion would not be cost effective when it would be much cheaper to rebuild the v-6 w/less headaches. If you to want put a carb and standard distributer on the 305, you can adapt the water temp, etc., sensors to your existing harness to be able to use your gauges. The trans would need to be adapted, the headers, maybe front coil springs, the drive shaft,.... need I go on?

Thank you for your input. I was thinking that I may as well go ahead and rebuild or replace the 231. No sense in spending extra money on a new harness, trans, etc, etc when I can just go to my friend's shop and use a spring compressor to push the new pistons and rods into the cylinders. My only concern though is if the cylinder walls have been damaged. If so, they may need to be bored and re-honed which would mean, bigger pistons, etc, etc. I dont want that to happen. I think if the cylinder walls are not harmed, I will rebuild, but if they are I may just replace the motor entirely.

If you are not going to boost it, you may be able to get a used set of hypers, .010- .030 over from our "parts for sale" or parts-needed" sections. sometimes you can get the pistons and rods already together for $50.00 to $125.00.

Back