Sharpening drill bits

Sal Lubrano

Can some one give me a good explaination on how to sharpen high speed frill bits woth a bench grinder. Everytime I try they come out worse than when I started.

Yes, they will not cut. What is the proper way/angle to sharpen the bit. What should I be looking for with a properly sharpened bit.

hey sal i can explain it on the phone if you want to call me 800 540 8278

shawn

Until you are used to doing it I suggest the following.

Note the angles that the two cutting edges make at the tip. While carefully rolling the bit in your fingers, sharpen like a pencil without changing the angles.

You will know have a bit that will drill true but not very well. Right now the material behind the cutting edge is dragging along as the tip cuts. You need to grind some relief into it.

You know need to hold one cutting edge up to the grinding wheel and slowly grind down just a bit of material behind the cutting edge. Do this in a sweeping motion using two hands on the bit. Once one is done, spin it 180 and do the other half of the bit.

Its pretty hard to sharpen small bits less than 1/8".

I never had luck with drill bits. then i bought the drill doctor..I was tired of buying drill sets from snap on and mac for $200 a set. I think sears sells them now.

Sharpening bits on a wheel is a true "learned" skill, and an art form. Takes tons of practice and can't be described, must be taught.
Your best bet is to invest in a Drill Doctor.

Drill Doctor saved me. Expensive on the front side, but has more than paid for itself.
John