She left me stranded! need help with fuel pump

roro1

Hey guys,87 GN with hot wire kit,left a red light got on it a little and the car stalled out,would crank back up,i dont here the pump cutting on,no fuel at the shrader valve on fuel rail,i can here the relay click on the hot wire kit. what do i need to check,and what wires sould i check for voltage back at the hot wire kit,the main power wire coming from the front back to the hot wire kit has power. could it be the crank sensor? thanks for any help!

You should be hearing your fuel pump prime for about 3-5 seconds when you key the car on. If you don't hear the fuel pump priming then I would suspect either a bad wire, blown fuse, etc. Worst case the pump went dead. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not, I suggest getting one. They are a must for these cars. Mine is mounted on my hood.

the fuel pump in not coming on,i have power back to the hot wire kit relay,i can hear it click. but its not sending power to the pump,could it be a ecm,i have checked the orange ecm wire on battery and the se light is coming on. what tells that relay to cut the pump on?

I would check to see why the engine light is on. See what code it is. There is also a fuel pump fuse under the driver side dash. Make sure it is not blown. I think it is labeled FP/INJ and 15 amp? There should also be a fuse on your hotwire kit. Make sure that didn't blow.

Check the fuseable links coming from the starter post, there are four of them. They have a tendency to "clear" when under load.

the fuel pump in not coming on,i have power back to the hot wire kit relay,i can hear it click. but its not sending power to the pump,could it be a ecm,i have checked the orange ecm wire on battery and the se light is coming on. what tells that relay to cut the pump on?

If you hear the relay clicking, switched power (from ECM) is working.

Check for power at the hot wire relay plug (The heavy red wire from the front of car). Should have full time 12vdc. If not locate and replace hot wire fuse.

Trace the hot wire up front. It's usually connected to the back of the alternator or to the battery. The hot wire fuse is inline close to that junction.

RL

You'll have to use a voltmeter to be sure 12V is where its supposed to be. I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy ... hard start / no start, I could hear, feel hot wire relay energizing, etc. I replaced everything but the windshield wipers with no success. Turned out the relay was "clicking" but the contacts were not making. Replaced the hot wire relay and all is good. Get your voltmeter out, don't assume.

i have power coming from the main power wire to the hot wire relay,checked it with test light,there is not power coming out of the hot wire relay to the fuel pump, the factory wires on the plug back at the fuel tank do not have power

I would try bypassing the hot wire relay, I've had one go bad, thank goodness it was at the end of a run at the BPG Nationals in Columbus. Just plug the original three wire connector from the car into the connector from the tank. It got me back to the pitts.

connect 12v to the fuel prime connector behind the alternator, the hood lamp wire works easy or use a short length of wire to back stud on alternator
pump should be running
if not unplug the hot wire from the main harness at rear bumper and plug the tank harness back into the main harness
pump should run
if it runs the hotwire has a bad relay or a blown fuse

if does not run tank needs to come down

ok i just unpluged the hot wire kit and pluged everything back up stock,still nothing. there are three wires on the stock plug in the rear
brown with white stripe showing no voltage
black wire (i assume ground)
and red wire is showing 9 volts

red (pink) is fuel gauge
brown/wht is pump , will only have power for a few seconds after key on
black ground

did you try to jump power to the fuel prime connector?

also where is the fuel prime connector? i dont see anytthing behind the alt,i see a green plug with 2 wires going into the same slot,but its not hooked to anything,guessing the original owner bypassed whatever that plug goes to

the green is tach and shouldnt be connected to anything ,
keep looking theres another wire (female spade)

ok the brown/white wire has 12v when u cycle the key,i ran 12v and ground from a dewalt 18v battery straight to the wires coming from the pump in the tank and nothing, does this mean the pump is bad

ok found the problem,now what would of caused this,i dropped the tank,pulled the pump,the wires that go from the pump up to the top of the sending unit are burnt at the plug where it connects to the top of the sending unit on the inside of tank. that scary what would of caused them to burn/melt was i that close to burning up?

Attachments

• DSC02462.JPG
    DSC02462.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 108
  • DSC02463.JPG
    DSC02463.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • DSC02461.JPG
    DSC02461.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 82