Shifters and Preferences

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
I was close to buying a B&M Megashifter but I've read some negative things concerning this setup. For example, the Megashifter shifts too hard; it's not comfortable; the ratchet action is not accurate; etc. So now I am looking at maybe the Pro Shifter, but it looks like you cannot integrate it into the factory console and make it look "pretty". Any suggestions on a good after-market shifter that can be integrated into the console and is comfortable to shift with as well? Thanks for the inputs.
- BB:confused:

B&M Quicksilver. I'd post a pic...but don't seem to have that option here anymore.

I will be interested in the replies too. I think that most will say that you should leave it in drive and let the tranny decide. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen an aftermarket shifter in a GN.

On the other hand, I once had a Hurst Dual-Gate in an old T/A once. It was like butter. Well, not in the smooth sense, but in the I loved it sense. Up and down shifts were always perfect, period. Don't even know if you can use one in a GN.

Megashifter works fine for me and many others locally...looks good in the console, works fine at the track...get the HD cable...

I just finished up the install of the B&M Hammer shifter. Looks and works great!! I'll post some pics this weekend.

Donnie

Looks like quickturbosix beat me to it. That's the article I wrote. I like the way the QS feels- very positive detents. If you have any questions- feel free to ask me.

Mark

B&M MegaShifter

I dont know, I love my Mega shifter, I have not put in my buckets and my center counsel yet but it will look great when It's done.

Megashifter all the way, awesome feel, look, very good shifts, and good price, my .02

Mark,

Do you know if they are still making the top plate for the Quarterstick? Or maybe you have one laying around for sale?

Originally posted by Buick Beginner
Gentlemen,
I was close to buying a B&M Megashifter but I've read some negative things concerning this setup. For example, the Megashifter shifts too hard; it's not comfortable; the ratchet action is not accurate; etc.<snip>Thanks for the inputs.
- BB:confused:

That's all a bunch of bull. Its a shifter, not a trans; thus it can't be responsible for "shifting too hard". You can screw any handle onto the stick that you find comfortable...you can even vary the angle that the factory handle sits on the stick. As with any shifter, you have adjustments to make the accuracy dead on. As I recall my Megashifter has adjustments both at the shifter and at the connection tab on the transmission.

Quickturbosix: I had Kevin Williams (AKA Buick From Hell- BFH) make up the top plate for me. You can contact him- he should still have the template to make more plate.

Mark

I just installed a set of Hurst Lightining Rods in my factory console. It wasn't too terribly bad and I had BFH make the cover for it. Looks pretty good now and you can't hardly miss a shift unless your arm falls off. Only downside is that the thing is used (mine is pretty clean but you get what you can find - or outbid). I can email photos if you like.

I had a B&M Megashifter and Starshifter in my Chevy II. I personally hated both of them. They kept breaking on me. Once a week I had to make a new part to keep them together. When the tops of both of them broke I threw them away. I now have a Winters gate shifter that I love. I am thinking about putting it into my Regal.

Over the past couple years we have done over a dozen Megashifter installs. Great for street and strip and looks like a factory install. Check out the pics and info on my web site.