You can type here any text you want

Shifters for TH400 , manuel rev pat/brake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SPEEDSTAR

What ratchet shifters work well with a TH400 manuel, reverse pat / brake tranny, ......... I want one that mounts inside the t-type console like a stock shifter, I dont want one that mounts on top and takes away from the stock interior look. Also using a transbrake ,and roll control , is it better to have the brake button in the shifter handle or the roll control in the shifter handle. The B+M Quick Silver was sugested by Bill Anderson Sr. Anyone else running others please comment .Your help is truely appreciated.

THANKS JEFF

I am running the quicksilver on mine. I have the T-brake wired into my roll control button with a switch to shut off the T-brake when doing my burnouts. I use the roll control and t-brake when staging. I have my button on the side of the handle right where my thumb is. I can not see ever moving it from there. I was able to cut the underside of the console and drop it over the shifter. I did have to open up the side to side of the stock slot on the chrome (lack of a better word) inlay because some of the mechanism would hit. I could have removed the brackets from the tunnel and got it to sit a little lower and this would have eliminated the need for it, but I didn't have the patience at the time. It is really not that noticeable the way it is now, and it's just a racecar:)

FWIW I have seen guys run a stock shifter with the 400, they notched out one of the notches on the shifter thingy underneath console, so that you put car in gear (1st) then when you shift you just slam shifter down and it hits 2nd, then you have to press the button in and pull down for 3rd.

Just a thought.

I'm running a Quicksilver with the stock console. I had to modify the console (cut out quite a bit of the black plastic). The trim plate fits right over the shifter very nicely and looks great IMO.

I had to remove the factory brackets that are welded to the floor and weld some studs in place to mount the shifter. A bit of work....but the results were worth the effort.

I am still using this shifter with a 200-4R but I have the 400 with a Hipster Brake ready to go!! The shifter will accomodate a 3 speed or 4 speed with only a minor change to the mechanism.

I'm not sure I want the t-brake button on the shifter. I don't want to release the brake and accidentally rachet the shifter. I am considering putting the button on the console.

Dave

Originally posted by turbodave231
I'm not sure I want the t-brake button on the shifter. I don't want to release the brake and accidentally rachet the shifter. I am considering putting the button on the console.

Dave

I can't see how you would ratchet the shifter by simpley releasing the button. It's never happened or the conception of it happening in over 40 runs. I honestley don't think you will have time to be staging, watching the staging lights, then take your eyes off the lights for a instant to make sure you got the T-brake button, then hope to get your hand back up to the knob in time to hit second. In the low 10 and 9 second range, you are hitting second almost immediatley (sure seems that way when running).

Just a thought.

Ted

My friend with a 68 GS (10.90 car) runs into this problem with his Turboaction shifter. He ends up doing a second gear start.

You may be right about shifting to second quickly. I don't run into that problem with the 2004r. I let the trans do the shifting off the footbrake..

Back