Shot Russian Carbine today...

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
My Dad bought it in '44 or '45 during WWII from a US Army Infantryman who took it off a dead Russian soldier. He bought it for $20 or less and I even have the paperwork for it when he transfered from Jax Naval Base to VA. It has never been fired since WWII. He didn't know what ammo and I never checked till after he passed. I bought some ammo(7.62X54R)yesterday and fired 5 rounds off at the range. I thought th 8MM Mauser was loud and had some kick but DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Sounded like a freakin cannon lol! 7.62 is left and 8mm is right.
guns007vg8.jpg

By itsav6, shot with KODAK EASYSHARE C713 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-12-02

$20 bucks:eek: Man I would have taken a case of those:biggrin:

You can get that ammo at a good price still, nice find!!!

I'm just North of Atlanta. I recently got into WWII guns this year. I shot a friend's Russian Nagant which I think it's the one your reffering to. It has a very different sound. SGRIM is right you can pick ammo up for that pretty cheap. I just purchased a German made Argentino 7.65 carbine ( Looks similar to the one in the right hand) It kicks like a mule. I also purchased a 7.7 Jap, 6.5 Jap and a British Enfield. I have to say that the Enfield is a more confortable gun to shoot. I've always wanted a cowboy pistol so I bought a Ruger 45LC 6 shooter and it's a blast. I would really like to get an authentic K98, like the the one in the right hand I think, but they are about $350-600 for a nice one. Ammo has been so expensive lately so I don't get to shoot as often as I like. My friend and I were kind of inspired by the WWII era so we started making life-size color shooting targets of Germans and they came out so well that we made some Terrorists and Cowboys. A good link is gunboardforums.com. Lots of info. Thanks for posting.

Yes you are correct, the Mosin-Nagant kicks like a mule and makes a heck of
a lot of noise when fired, it amazes me how they shot that rifle so many times
when you got into a fire fight for a lenght of time, I think that your arm would fall off at the end when the adrenalin wore off.

Ron

I bought 20 rounds for $6.50 but it is the surplus. All the surplus that is really cheap is corrosive so you have to clean it often. A local gun shop here had some so I got a box. I found 440 rounds of the surplus for $120 or so. A Russian co is making new ammo and it is pretty cheap too.
And yes it kicks like a mofo! It was wierd shooting it and it has been at least 64 years since it has even had a bullet in it.:) But I liked it!:biggrin:
It is a Mosin Nagant but a Carbine version. And that is a K98. We have a Quackenbush .17 or.22single shot but it is rough! It is the bottom one in this link... H.M. Quackenbush Guns

From the pic the 8mm is a yugo M24 and the mosin isn't stock anymore. I have both and the mosins stock was cut down and the upper hand guard is gone. In stock form they don't kick that bad. The wood adds quite a bit of weight to help the recoil.

Thats cool as hell to see that you ran the dust bunnies out of it .:biggrin: Yes i got to say the m38 and the m44 kick a bit more then the full 91/30 does, but lots of fun to shoot. If you like that 54r round Buy a romanin FPK Thats the cats ass. I have one and no regrets or plans to sell it. I just feel sorry for the one that p*ss me off!:biggrin:

From the pic the 8mm is a yugo M24 and the mosin isn't stock anymore. I have both and the mosins stock was cut down and the upper hand guard is gone. In stock form they don't kick that bad. The wood adds quite a bit of weight to help the recoil.
It is the K98 and the Mosin was like that in WWII when Dad bought in 44/45. I think they removed the bayonet and the part of the wood on the front cause there is no place for the front of the sling to attatch. I wouldn't mod them at all.