You can type here any text you want

should these mods alone have caused me to have more boost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTAfreak

ok, I did a few basic mods yesterday and toda.

MAF pipe and a K&N filter
160 thermostat
and an RJC power plate

now the boost guage gets into the red and I get a little bit of a miss (detonation im guessing)

why would these mods alone cause the boost to increase?

oh, and my scanmaster should be here tomorrow along with the next round of mods.

i did these mods before the scanmaster arrived because I didnt see any harm....but I also didnt expect an increas in boost.

:confused:

Yes,combo of all.....Turn boost down till you get the SM and see what is going on.

Originally posted by TT/Ameasap
Yes,combo of all.....Turn boost down till you get the SM and see what is going on.

thanks. ill have my scan master tomorrow or friday.

I did find that infamous vacum line on the side of the turbo cracked again though. this was a big part of the problem.

Im gonna order a new one soon. those things get brittle and crack really easily.

I bought a $45 boost controller from RJC and elliminated all those hoses...Have way better spool up.Cheap but effective.

Originally posted by TT/Ameasap
I bought a $45 boost controller from RJC and elliminated all those hoses...Have way better spool up.Cheap but effective.
ive seen that on their site.

can you explain how it works? is that entire "Y" hose assembly done away with?

thanks

You bypass the boost solenoid (valvecover) the compressor outlet goes to one side of the controller, the other side of it goes to the wastegate. You set your wastegate where it needs 1/8" or so of "pull" to attach to puck, then you can just adjust the controller (which is a ball/spring) for your max boost pressure. The spring keeps the check ball against the controller and doesn't let any pressure (boost) get to the wastegate until the boost is high enough to compress that spring. You have to leave the solenoid plugged into the harness otherwise you'll get a check engine light. Works great.

Is it the same function with the electronic BC:s to like Gredy and HKS ?

Daniel

Originally posted by lburou
You'll find the answers to most of your questions HERE. Look in the FAQ section.

who is RJC and is their piece any different than the one posted above?

i dont' really need the incar tuning.... the engine one looks like $25. are these a worthwhile mod? any downside to using them?

RJC racing is a sponsor of this board. You can see his website HERE

He's done a lot of research and development with his products (like the Power Plate). I trust him and his products.

I chose to go with an adjustable wastegate and left it at that, since I lost interest in the variable boost controller (I used only one fuel and didn't race).

I'll leave it to you to ferret out the similarities and differences between these products, I didn't keep up with them.

:)

thanks!

so really if my stock wastegate works fine... and i have no mods to effect boost yet... i don't need to worry about these yet...

these guys all tolk about progressive boost buildup. would one of these be worthwhile on a stock motor like mine?

Originally posted by j13smiley

who is RJC and is their piece any different than the one posted above?

i dont' really need the incar tuning.... the engine one looks like $25. are these a worthwhile mod? any downside to using them?

I can give you my experience. The RJC is a different design than the one I used which was Joe's MBC and that little jewel cost me big time. It was a check valve design with the adjusting rod and a lock nut. It came completely apart under hard boost causing detonation. I am a firm believer in 'You get what you pay for!'. That great deal of $25 or so for a boost controler cost me a motor!

Back