-sigh- pressure test and your thoughts.

DorianL

This is gonna be a toughie.

I replaced my 350 with a 200-4R. Before installing, I put in a PTS shift kit.

When installed, the vehicle shifted through all the gears. It shifted firmly at light throttle but shifts would go flat fast once more power was applied. I did a pressure test. The pressure was low, as I understand, but within stock specs.

P & N: 56 - 170
R: 105 - 240
D & 3: 56 - 140
1 & 2: 123 - 140

I figured that it might be the stock pressure regulator. So I replaced it with a PTS regulator and replaced the filter wile I was at it. And HERE is where things got weird, (Again, before this, it behaved pretty much like a stock trans except for the firm shifts at low power.)

The shifting firmness detirorated even more. I did another pressure test and got:

P: 110 - 120
R: 110 - 120
N: 100 - 120
D: 80 - 90
3: 75 - 120
2: 75 - 120
1: 75 - 120

I pulled the trans and the pump and here's what I found:

There were two oil pickup seals in the pump - stacked. A new one and an older - kinda black looking.

The PTS regulator looked like it was installed correctly. I could see nothing wrong with the vanes, rotor, surfaces or anything. The only thing that I can think of is that I might have scuffed the regulator and boost kit bore in the pump. (BTW - the TV valve was correctly installed and mving smoothly in its bore)

Could it have been a problem with the pick up seal?

I think I'm going to have the pump rebuilt or replace the pump with a performance pump.

What are your thoughts ?

MTIA,

D.

update

I brought the pump in to be rebuilt locally. Fingers crossed - I get the pump back mid next week.

D.

I pick up my pump today.

They replaced the scuffed bushing. They could not find anything wrong with the pump. I think they said that they tightened the rotor/vane - body clearances. Will put it back in the car this weekend. Stay tuned.

D.

The more I look at my pressure numbers above,

The more I think that my strange pressure readings were related to the pick up...

update

got off my lazy butt last night (23:00 to 01:00) and lifted my trans back into the car. Remains the ancillary: cooling, TV linkage, torquing, TCC lockup switch, driveshaft, diptsick.

Firday - and test on Sat, hopefully. Fingers crossed.

This is pathetic...I can't believe, NO ONE has responded to this.

I don't know crap about Trannies so I can't help, but I figured someone here would.

Good for you...Most people just give up and stop updating the thread.

No Wuckers.

At 126 views, some people are following this soap opera. I know a couple that are particularly interested in the outcome. Besides, it's always fun to know "the rest of the story": 'Did that guy ever figure it out? Was that the problem? Maybe I have the same issue?'

stay tuned :D

D.

Dorian,

I guess alot of us just think the "other" guy will respond.

I'm not as sharp as some guys here but will try to help you out.

first of all,
take the PTS PR kit out and clean it, recheck the assembly and I'd suggest deburring it.

From following some threads here it seems that particular setup has a tendecy to be sticky.
Seems one guy was running it for a while and it developed a burr (not hard enough?) causing it to work improperly.

So just deburr it from the get go.

I mentionthis since your pressures went to chit after the install.
But check the install too, easy to blame it on the parts and not the installer :)

Your pressures look low in Drive and OD...

Maybe an internal leak at a sealing ring or lip seal...

Might not be the pump or PR fault...

Let us know how it goes.

Other "Stuff"

When the trans was out for the pump, the shop just modified the stock pump? If so, why? Use of the 10 or 13 vane pump is a common upgrade.
Also, is the stator support upgraded w/ a hardened part?

The multiple seals in the pump intake bore is a good source for a problem. ALWAYS be sure to remove the old seal when doing a fluid/filter change.
Oh ya, the little "springy thingie" goes ABOVE the filter to keep it down in the ft....
Also, w/ a stock pan, try to raise the fill level to the first bend in the dip stick.. a bit higher fluid level can help avoid aeration on hard accel.:D

Don't forget to set the TV cable after the install... U can make minor adustments to it for shift feel..;)

Originally posted by DorianL
with PTS shift kit

P & N: 56 - 170
R: 105 - 240
D & 3: 56 - 140
1 & 2: 123 - 140

With a PTS regulator and filter possibly not installed correctly

P: 110 - 120
R: 110 - 120
N: 100 - 120
D: 80 - 90
3: 75 - 120
2: 75 - 120
1: 75 - 120

After new oil, new filter, a pump rebuild + PTS pressure regulator:

P: 110 - 260
R: 170 - 260
N: 110 - 230
D: 110 - 240
3: 110 - 250
2: 250 - 250
1: 250 - 250

:cool: anybody care to comment ?

Am I on my way to awesomely snappy shifts ?

D.

Re: Re: -sigh- pressure test and your thoughts.

Originally posted by DorianL
After new oil, new filter, a pump rebuild + PTS pressure regulator:

P: 110 - 260
R: 170 - 260
N: 110 - 230
D: 110 - 240
3: 110 - 250
2: 250 - 250
1: 250 - 250

:cool: anybody care to comment ?

Am I on my way to awesomely snappy shifts ?

D.

looks good..:cool:

What was the problem ?

Honestly...

My guess is that the 2 oil seal rings were pushing the filter too far down. I really needed to draw the oil pan up using the pan bolts. Sucking air from somewhere.

I don't think that the rebuild was necessary, but it's good to know that it was addressed... and that someone else gave a shot at the PR kit.

Hopefully the weather will allow a test drive today.