You can type here any text you want

SII cam spec experts needed please!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
My Son-In-Law is working on some engine modeling software, and needs some info on SII cam specs.

We would like to start on modeling a Buick V6. We're going to take basic measurments of runners and valve seats from the hardware that I left him(head and intake). We'd like to get your help on tracking down cam data. At the very minimum we would like to have lift, duration, and lobe separation numbers for cams the most popular SII cams that would be good into the 800+HP range. It would be better if we had actual valve lift and or cam lobe dimensions per degree. The best scenario is to populate a lift vs degree table and input it into the model. I'm hoping that someone has already measured some of the cams and is willing to share the data. we made an unsuccesful attempt to get in contact with turbobuick member Todd King who used to work at SouthWest Research Institute and has done some impressive testing on turbo v6s. He might have more detailed cam specs.

After the model is built we can analyze different scenarios, i.e. differ stroke, bore, change cams, static compression ratios etc etc. The objective is for him to better familiarize himself with the engine modeling software and for us to dream up and look at different hardware scenarios

If you are interested, could you help me by providing cam data?

P.S. He could always model it using camless actuators but then be limited to 6k RPM. haha

Well all I know is what's in mine basically, lol. At SwRI there was a professional engine design modeling package, but I was told that the models are very extensive and labor intensive to set up- assuming you want real, meaningful data out :) I'm talking like several days if not more, and with inpout that I would never be able to provide. Flow coeficients, etc. I abandoned that effort. It's very tough to even model a turbine accurately, much less the whole engine with turbo. The $39 shrink wrap packages won't cut it at that level :)

Todd

Originally posted by TurboTR
Well all I know is what's in mine basically, lol. At SwRI there was a professional engine design modeling package, but I was told that the models are very extensive and labor intensive to set up- assuming you want real, meaningful data out :) I'm talking like several days if not more, and with inpout that I would never be able to provide. Flow coeficients, etc. I abandoned that effort. It's very tough to even model a turbine accurately, much less the whole engine with turbo. The $39 shrink wrap packages won't cut it at that level :)

Todd

Yes, I know all that. But my Son-In-Law is a mechanical engineer who is used to using such software. Previous design engineer for Garrett, now working for Ford designing the "Buck Rogers" stuff, like camless valve actuation, etc.
He's perfectly suited to do the work.
We just need some cam data to feed into it for now.

Hmm, well ok FWIW I have a 242/242/114 solid roller currently in mine, Comp Extreme Street profile lobes, on the aggressive side :) Compare the duration at the several spec'd lift levels and you'll get a good idea. The rockers are 1.65, which makes alot of lift on it, but if I had 1.55 on hand I might have used those too.

TurboTR

Originally posted by TurboTR
Hmm, well ok FWIW I have a 242/242/114 solid roller currently in mine, Comp Extreme Street profile lobes, on the aggressive side :) Compare the duration at the several spec'd lift levels and you'll get a good idea. The rockers are 1.65, which makes alot of lift on it, but if I had 1.55 on hand I might have used those too.

TurboTR

Thanks, do you know the lift on the cam?

Any more? It's hard to believe that there's only two guys on this board with SII cams or info for them :confused:

Well the lobes are set at 114 separation. From that, it's a matter of where you install the cam as to where the respective centers wind up. Mine is in at about 110 or so intake centerline. Where that puts the exh I don't recall offhand, but is a simple matter of calculating it.

TurboTR

Back