Site Suggestion

towerguy

I posted this in another part of the forum to no avail, maybe this is the place to put it.

Another member had suggested members from around the country become volunteers to look at cars, in their region, for other members. I thought this was a great idea but, as people did put their hat in the ring, I noticed it was somewhat difficult to find them as the string grew in size.

With that in mind, I thought tweaking this idea might better serve the membership. I belong to an RV website for Barth Custom Coaches. The moderator/site owner came up with an idea to add a map of the USA along with several tabs at the bottom of the map. One tab is for planned get togethers or rally's. Click on the tab and it will show the location where the rally or Get ToGether (GTG) is being held. Click on the site icon and it shows who the host is, phone numbers and direction to the campground.

There is another tab for coaches for sale with pictures, description, price and phone number of owner. There are also tabs for a member map and factory link. As an example, once I have my GN, and you clicked on my car, it would show Towerguy, 1987 GN, city and state and a picture of my car. The possibilites to use this setup for turbobuick.com looks like a match made in heaven. Members can add themselves to the map or remain completely annonymous if they choose. Locations of members are only to show what part of the country they live in, not an actual address; to do otherwise would be a thief's dream and nobody wants to give them a leg up.

Members wanting to have a GTG in their area could add the location to the map and make it an easy way for members to find out about future GTG's in their area.

Members wanting to volunteer to help a stranded member or assist in looking at a GN in their region could be on another tab. Although this is great for them to volunteer, this one idea makes me cringe on their behalf since they could possibly be inundated with requests. Take 10 people looking for a GN that find 10 possible contenders who ask each volunteer in that area to go look and you'll see what I mean. There would suddenly be 100 requests for "look at this car for me" instead of a handful of serious requests. With that in mind, maybe it would be better if the potential buyer posted the location of a potential car and a volunteer could contact them if they choose. There are other ways to do this particular thing but, you get the idea.

While I'm not sure the volunteer "tab" would be a good idea, I believe this map would work great for other things, especially GTG's. As an eaxample, here in Colorado we are having a "Super Cruise" in Golden CO this Saturday. All information needed could be contained in the "pin" on the tab for that particular GTG. Information can include not only the location, time, phone numbers, host etc. but also parking information, businesses that don't want to participate, businesses that do participate, police input to minimize tickets and a close up map of the cruise area. The possibilities are endless.

Just a thought but it looks like it would work out here quite nicely. I have contacted the Barth site owner and he will assist someone in setting it up here at no charge. Let me know and I'll provide the information to put you together with him.