Slotted and drilled rotors

I have never seen a slotted AND drilled rotor not crack :mad: I would go just for the slotted :biggrin:

Funny hugh Dan, we just has this conversation / experience a short time ago :)

I agree with Dan, if you really want non-stock, stick with slotted. There are a bunch of places out there with slotted rotors. I'll try to find the places I found and some of the prices.

Thank, you may have saved me a lot of headaches down the road. Does this kit come with rotors and pads for 200 bucks? Sounds like a good deal.

Ryan said:
Thank, you may have saved me a lot of headaches down the road. Does this kit come with rotors and pads for 200 bucks? Sounds like a good deal.

Ryan,

I'm running these on my '87 GN. They work great and yes, you can get the rotors and pads for $200. Summit Racing has them for $189.99 (P/N SSB-A2350003 )

Rob

Rob

I looked on Jegs, could not find that part number. Found 884-A2350003 but said it was for F body and did not mention Sloted just stainless upgrade kit.

Those local in the DFW area might check with Dave Newton's buddy that owns a tire shop, he got me some crossed drilled rotors for $100 for the pair, work great and stop much better than stockers, used with the stock replacement pads.
Those slotted and cross drilled rotors only have 3 slots in them, so they may not crack as easily, always wondered why most manufactures didn't make cross drilled and slotted for my truck which only has front brakes...the rears do nothing it seems.

Im a dummy. Was browsing Jegs at the time. What happens when it's time to turn the rotors? Can they be turned like normal brakes? Has anyone here ever used those QS brakes "quiet stop". I really hate squealing brakes. How about rear shoes? Any recommendations? I have aluminum drums.

Do "slots only" work any better than a stock rotor? I have heard from many people that the drilled rotors get micro cracks between the holes. I wouldn't want to be doing 100+ at the end of the track and have one shatter on me.

Pronto said:
Do "slots only" work any better than a stock rotor? I have heard from many people that the drilled rotors get micro cracks between the holes. I wouldn't want to be doing 100+ at the end of the track and have one shatter on me.

yes the "slots " work fine .. Have them on my TTA ..the drilled holes is where they crack .. the TTA I have here has 4 cracked one's :eek: :p

I've had both slotted only and cross drilled only on my truck, which I brake much harder with it than any of my cars and its a much heavier vehicle. The slotted rotors seemed to be more durable and hold up much better and brake stopping distance is about the same as the crossed-drilled. If you get cheap cross drilled rotors, they can crack under extreme conditions. My cross-drilled rotors are Stillen's and were very expensive, around $350 from what I recall, never cracked, but they did warp slightly after about 60k miles on them. I had them turned and they are like new again and sitting in the box to be used when the slotted ones need to come off for whatever reason. The slotted ones are just Summit specials, I think I paid about $200 for the pair.

I have the cross-drilled only on the GN, but not enough use on them yet, and they were cheap too at $100 for the pair from Dave's buddy, no probs yet but I only have about 100 passes on them and heavy braking at end of track....especialy at Temple Dragway for those that have been there :)

2QUIK6 said:
I have the cross-drilled only on the GN, but not enough use on them yet, and they were cheap too at $100 for the pair from Dave's buddy, no probs yet but I only have about 100 passes on them and heavy braking at end of track....especialy at Temple Dragway for those that have been there :)
Rob, does the GN stop a lot better with the crossdrilled rotors over stock?

Thanks Jason

I'm also using the cross drilled /slotted nickel plated rotors on my GN. I noticed some improved stopping power over the stock rotors and they don't get that heat fade as easy as stock rotors. Still no magic cure for the poor brake set up on the GN's but does help some. I paid $ 240.00 for both nickel plated cross drilled /slotted rotors, they are good ones.

I got slotted and drilled from Baer, they come with a 3 year warrenty against cracking and warping. For what I payed I can see why Baer has no problem replacing them though.

I don't believe that there is much (if even measurable on a street car) improvement with the slots and holes. The newer (good) pads don't off gas as much as the older ones did. The improvement that one gets over stock is probably more related to the better quality and improved air flow due to better internal vane designs etc. When I ordered my rotors I was flat out told on a street car that I would not be able to tell the difference between the drilled and slotted versus regular version of the same rotor.

Some even argue that the decrease in swept area (due to the missing material removed by slotting and drilling) will decrease braking performance more than help it.

I got the slots and holes because they are pretty! :biggrin:

How much did they set you back Zoliaster??? I imagine you just got replacement front rotors from Bear or maybe you did there whole front break set-up!!