Slow Blowthru engine build.

Shouldn't have a problem with the rockers but you might look at getting a set of HD shafts. The shafts are more prone to breakage under heavy pressure. If you feel like getting a set of rollers someone on evilbay is offering harland sharps for about $500 shipped.

think its needed?

think its needed?

A broken shaft could cause all sorts of issues so it would be cheap insurance to say the least Aj. I'm sure there've been quite a few that have run stock shafts without any problems but this is the B4black crowd and we have a habit fo breaking things more often.:(

HD rocker shafts have been in the recipe from the beginning and they will help because these heads have been clearanced for roller rockers. Ok measured the valve spring installed heights with a stock retainer and locks. 1.717" the rest were not far off (1.719-1.728) but that one was tightest.

I have the 206 roller in my GN and still use the stock rockers and shafts. I have not had any troubles but I don't have but a few thousands miles on the engine either. It has run several mid 12's in the 1/4 though. I have roller rockers on the shelf but I didn't have the heads prepped while they were off. Sounds like more work than I want to tackle right now. The Vega is getting all the attention. HD shafts are a good idea but I don't think they are absolutely necessary.

thats not too bad, I bet a good 3 angle valve job would sink them right to where you needt to be.
Yeah, this measurement is after a fresh valve job but this is only the 1st time they have been cut since the factory job.
I have the 206 roller in my GN and still use the stock rockers and shafts. I have not had any troubles but I don't have but a few thousands miles on the engine either. It has run several mid 12's in the 1/4 though. I have roller rockers on the shelf but I didn't have the heads prepped while they were off. Sounds like more work than I want to tackle right now. The Vega is getting all the attention. HD shafts are a good idea but I don't think they are absolutely necessary.
Alright good stuff I'll stick with it for now.

Yeah, this measurement is after a fresh valve job but this is only the 1st time they have been cut since the factory job.

well we were close, so not too bad! you could always shift it with a offset keeper and a few shims. depends really on how aggressive your spring pressures will be.

Update: game on!

Pretty much everything to finish up another short block. Swap the ported iron heads onto this block. Should be able to reuse the RJC head gaskets I got on the 140 casting block now. Will the head studs I'm running in the 140 block be alright in the 109?

Update: game on!

Pretty much everything to finish up another short block. Swap the ported iron heads onto this block. Should be able to reuse the RJC head gaskets I got on the 140 casting block now. Will the head studs I'm running in the 140 block be alright in the 109?
No on the studs

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Build went pretty well just a few hangups.

Used .030 over block, used .030 over forged pistons on stock turbo rods and used rings.

Upgraded again to Trickflow PAC valve springs to work with the Comp roller camshaft.

Comp 885 roller lifters in, ported iron stage JR heads, RJC headgaskets, ARP head studs.

Stock rockers for now, TA/ARP rocker shaft stud and support clamp kit, FT .080 wall pushrods.

Rocker shaft stuff.

On the stand waiting to go in the Regal.

The only thing I question is the used rings Adam. Rings aren't that expensive after all. Other than that things look good.

It's a budget build Charlie, you have my address send some new ring funds if need be.
Stuff I learned on this 109 build:
a large cap HEI distributor barely fit on the 140 block and fits much worse on this block.
Getting the top end lined up was tricky with a slightly lower although stock deck height.
Stock aluminum valve covers do not fit over the rockers shaft studs without a spacer or multiple stacked gaskets but stock stamped steel valve covers will fit with a single gasket.
The pushrods in my roller cam parts were wrong length. So I will have some Champion racing heads pushrods for sale.

Need to give credit to Bison's performance. Smart helpful guy, thanks for the cam timing information, measuring/setting up valve springs, tuning tips and tricks and the turbos especially his custom 6265 on the engine now.

Fullthrottle speed&style and both the Lichts.

Alkycontrol, Julio thanks for info and the parts.

RJC racing bulletproof head gaskets.

Is the distributor to large in diameter or is the cap to tall? If you feel like going with an external coil you can use a mid 70's inline 6 cap which uses the 6 towers plus one in the center for an external coil. Did it on my old car years ago.

It's big around the bulbous sides, it is a large cap HEI after all. Still have the Mallory Unilite which is much slimmer. Will have to spend more $$ and change things around to go that route. Recurve it, external coil, 7 new plug wires, ballast resister...
pass on all that for now.

I'm getting rid of and will fix all the photos that were hosted by photo bucket.

Anyone ever drop a stock intake valve?
This one is like the head just popped off.
https://goo.gl/photos/7Dw5x4LVuBRH7F9P7
https://goo.gl/photos/a5GdiC84mYSHpDM76
https://goo.gl/photos/QF9CxvSKSJdoNaiY8

yoda-buff-right-out-that-will.jpg

Did it stop the engine immediately, or keep running enough to completely self destruct?

The engine was running, I was traveling 70mph on highway about 17 mIles from home. The engine made noises you never want to hear then stopped but it was not locked up and would turn over.

Sure made a mess. How much seat pressure and over the top pressure on the springs? May be time for stainless valves.

Sure made a mess. How much seat pressure and over the top pressure on the springs? May be time for stainless valves.
Budget was the stock intake valves at the time, the heads have stainless exhaust valves though. This is a roller camshaft setup and seat pressure was 150's, open pressure is something in or near the 300 range, springs have a 313lb rating.