You can type here any text you want

Slow cars in mags.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NEARING

Maybe it's just me, but the last couple of mags I have bought
Have had some high $$$$$ cars that just don't seem to run like you would THINK they would.

The latest one was Car Craft. Don't get me wrong the cars are very nice but you look at the engines and you'd swear they would run at least mid 11's to see they are on average a full sec slower!?!?

500+ci roller motors.

Most of them were either on ET Streets or DR's.

The one car had more of a road race suspension but still??

My buddies 69 camaro has a BUDGET pump gas 355 that he put together in his tool shed that has been 11.40's :confused:

What I am I missing????

It's about the money

well, my guess is that ET doesn't sell mags. Flashy, colorful, clean cars that use advertiser parts and services. That is what produces in a publisher/editor view point. What speed part manufacturer would buy advertising if the mag was running articles that showed you didn't "need" their product to go fast? The advertiser $ is what gets the mag to the newsstand. If all it was about ET, everyone would be set up like a pro stocker.

Rich

Originally posted by NEARING
Maybe it's just me, but the last couple of mags I have bought
Have had some high $$$$$ cars that just don't seem to run like you would THINK they would.

The latest one was Car Craft. Don't get me wrong the cars are very nice but you look at the engines and you'd swear they would run at least mid 11's to see they are on average a full sec slower!?!?

500+ci roller motors.

Most of them were either on ET Streets or DR's.

I've been noticing the same thing for a while now.What I hate more is the cars that are never run at all.

Plus you cant belive what's written in a magazine,even with regards to vehicle performance.I'm sure all magazines do this and know GMHTP has done it where they state numbers for a car that has never even been to the track(based on the combo the car is running).

Most of the cars on magazines would stand a chance against half the cars on this board :D ;)

Steve

What speed part manufacturer would buy advertising if the mag was running articles that showed you didn't "need" their product to go fast?
EXACTLY There are tons of parts out there that you "need" but really don't.

Sounds like the old "Pro-Street" cars of a few years back.

An article of Car-Craft or Hot Rod back in the late 80s had a "Street Car Shootout". The fastest one was your basic '55 Chevy with a big block. Simple, but nice, ran 11s I think.

There also was a fully tubbed, big 'n littles, tunnel rammed, dual carbed, Lenco transed, 4.8X geared small block Camaro or such that ran mid 13s.

At least the ricers go slow without doing anything to the drivetrain.

I know what you mean. When my car was in GMHighTech, in the readers rides, there were only 2 faster cars in the ENTIRE magazine, one was Jack Cottons, and the other was a truck in the same race going low 10's. Not feature cars, mind you, just some race coverage. My pos was faster than ALL the feature cars that month. Sad.

Re: Re: Slow cars in mags.

Originally posted by TTA850
Plus you cant belive what's written in a magazine,even with regards to vehicle performance.I'm sure all magazines do this and know GMHTP has done it where they state numbers for a car that has never even been to the track(based on the combo the car is running).

Most of the cars on magazines would stand a chance against half the cars on this board :D ;)

Steve

When they did the feature on my car, I had to fill out a tech sheet with all the information including best ET/mph. I would think that the biggest reason for a false ET would be the driver gave them bad information on the Tech sheet. GM/High Tech doesn't require a timeslip for verification.

FWIW: I have my timeslip :)

Re: Re: Re: Slow cars in mags.

Originally posted by HighPSI
When they did the feature on my car, I had to fill out a tech sheet with all the information including best ET/mph. I would think that the biggest reason for a false ET would be the driver gave them bad information on the Tech sheet. GM/High Tech doesn't require a timeslip for verification.

FWIW: I have my timeslip :)

I'm sure you do have the timeslips :D

The one incident that I know of involves a blue t-type from a few years back that I ran into at a Long Island car show who told me the car was never actually raced and GMHTP just put in a time that cars with similar setups run.

I'm not saying I dont buy the magazine,it is fun to read but you cant belive everything in there as there is alot of bull**** to sift through :D

Steve

Back