Slow Forum --Topics

Rivical

Growing Member
With as much traffic as TB.com gets, I notice this sub-group is kinda slow with new topics and range reports, etc...

How come? Are there few Buick enthusiast's who enjoy guns frequenting the board? Or could it be something else, say political? Considerring firearm sales being at an all time high and crossing socio-economic and other interest's that would bring people together, I'd kinda think there'd be more to read about from fellow members...

It seems that everybody I know or meet is getting gun fever. More people all the time. Just wondering what the general thoughts on this, or the lack of sharing it might be....

I was actually suprised that no one commented on the custom rifle thread I started. While we do enjoy firearms I think it has to do more with the forum dedicated towards a specific car model.:)

i come here for tb cars, other places for guns, couple friends who build them, I go to them for info....have a beer....'shoot' the shi..............

Actually I enjoy your custom thread Charlie! I just don't have anything of value to add to it. Maybe others feel the same that you have a special talent that's nice to read about but can't relate to having the same skill's that would allow us to do more than learn from what you're doing. Kinda like the "How-To" forum. Not alot of commentary is needed to learn from what others are doing. Likewise with body/resto. Sometimes theres alot of encouragement and helpful comments and other times it seems like maybe people are just learning from somebody who knows well what they're doing.

I'm considerring my first gun build and gathering all the right pieces to do it nice. If I don't screw it up. Seems pretty straight forward to build a kit. I've built plenty of other things... And I have another friend who's also a member here who I'm trying to convince that if I can do it, so can he, and use whatever tools I gather for his similar build.

So while I come here specifically for Regal and turbo oriented info, I consider you guys my friends too. So I try to share what I know about off topic things since I don't have any turbo cars and haven't for some time, because I like hanging out with you guys who have similar interests. As guilty as I feel about wasting Shane's bandwitdth being a non-turbo owner, it's hard not to talk with you guys about other things I enjoy and learn what I can at the same time. Likewise it wouldn't matter how many turbo regal's I owned if this site was full of people I didn't relate to or worse.

Charlief1, I also enjoyed your article on the custom rifle thread you started. But, I'm only into handguns, & would never try and do my own work.

Charlief1, I also enjoyed your article on the custom rifle thread you started. But, I'm only into handguns, & would never try and do my own work.
This was one of the reasons I started the thread Gary. It's not near as hard as you think it is. Even building a Colt 45 isn't really that hard and there's tons of info out there on how to do it. Even if you wanted a cheap rifle or as I call them, pickup gun, you can do them fairly easily by buying a military surplus rifle and doing some simple things like a trigger and stock. The first bolt handle I did with the help of a muffle shop doing the welding and me doing the shaping.:D

I did hope that this section would take off a little faster but it's not like the poly section or the rest of the board either so some won't do a lot of posting in it. One other thing I'm a little embarassed about is, when I joined the forum I never really went past the first section.:oops: I stayed in the tech sections reading and the sale sections were as much as I looked at. Don't know why but one day I did go further down and started checking the whole board and I'd bet a bunch of members are doing the same thing.:)

...I never really went past the first section.:oops: I stayed in the tech sections reading and the sale sections were as much as I looked at....

Same here until this new format came along. Now I hit the "What's New" button & read posts from sections that I hadn't visited before.

~JM~

.. if you wanted a cheap rifle or as I call them, pickup gun, you can do them fairly easily by buying a military surplus rifle and doing some simple things like a trigger and stock. The first bolt handle I did with the help of a muffle shop doing the welding and me doing the shaping.:D:)

There's an interesting topic. Might not deserve it's own thread, but... Maybe you could help me and even do us something on cheap truck guns as a topic for us to learn from.

I'm not even sure where else I could ask this question, so I'm glad to have friends here in the Buick community!:)

Before I tell ya what I'd like advice on, let me sell the gun to the guys....;)
I just picked up a Romanian issue Mosin Nagant M44 for a truck gun. Bolt action 30 cal with more oomph than a 308. The 7.62x54R round is pretty common as commie guns are everywhere you look today. Cheap as dirt to shoot old milsurp through (around 18.3c rd. /plus shipping) I even managed to get 5-boxes of reloadable brass prvi FMJBT 182gr for the same $12 price as Silver Bear at a show! The rifling in the barrel looks like the thing is threaded! It's soo nice. And it's very comfortable to handle with the same stock Izzy put it in! I see the currently advertised available guns are heavily rearsenalled Chinese with all mismatching numbers, but am seeing much nicer and matching older imports on tables and racks all over for the same $159. If you don't want the bolted on bayo, the M38 would be for you. Or if you're over 6ft tall and think you might need to use the gun for a crutch at some point, the super cheap 91/30 with it's 4ft barrel is the ticket!:D

I have a friend who's performed a bolt mating clean-up and trigger job on a Nagant already, so I think I can cover that without problem.

What I want to do, is not pay a stupid price for a bent bolt so I can mount a scope on a cheap gun. I have this super pretty and appropriate Russian scope mount. Just me but, I'm not about to use that rediculously cheap looking $45 ATI bent bolt conversion.:eek: Is it possible to somehow heat this bolt handle and bend it over while retaining both the finish and not destroying it's longevity? I could settle for some finish marring as I'm not sure how to get around it, as disgusting as the thought is. But I don't want to degrade the temper and make it break off at some point in use. Your experience and advice will be much appreciated.

Well now that you bring it up we did a few sniper copies of the nagant and it's really simple if you've got access to a welder. Mark the handle where the stock is over it, and cut it off. Then get some round stock and weld it onto the handle to make it longer. This involves a lot of file work one it's welded. The handle is at a 90 degree angle to the bolt so you will need to trim the extension slightly to get the legnth right. Then weld it onto the bolt body. Where the handle attaches is the 3rd locking lug or "safety" lug so you don't have to worry about it that much. Once it's welded then you can shape it with a file or grind it down so you get a nice looking bend. I'll see about taking a pic of the one I have left so you get a better idea.:)