smokes at idle (oil i think)

No smoke all good. IMAG0296.jpg

I have had the same problem with a turbo that was starting to leak past the seal right into the exhaust. It would smoke a little at idle but only at idle. The oil didn't leak into the intake side at all it leaked right into the downpipe basically. When I switched from Rotella 15w 40 to Mobil 10w 30 it started smoking at idle. Had the turbo rebuilt and problem went away. Glad you found the problem. I have seen guys not run valve seals on the exhaust valves does anyone know why?

Mine was rebuilt with no exhaust valve seals and all Is well.

You don't need exhaust valve seals if the guides were not cut down for retainer clearance. If they were cut to the same level as the intake guides, you will need seals. If you put seals on cut down exhaust guides with stock valves, they will be destroyed by the cutaway on the valve stem. You need aftermarket valves with straight stems to work with exhaust seals.

I know this is kind of old, Would you happen to have the part number for the valve stem seals that you used? Not the blue one's.
thanks!

X2, you MUST have the smooth stemmed exhaust valves, AND have the guides cut for 'em:mad:

Check the TA Performance website or catalog. They stock any kind you could want. Determine what diameter your valve guides will be when cut, usually .500", then order the seals accordingly. I prefer their Viton seals over the teflon seals. Buick Mark is correct about the exhaust valve stems. They have to be replaced with aftermarket smooth stem exhaust valves, TRW or NAPA has them.

Don't have part # I bought them from local machine shop. He pick them out of drawer with hundreds in it. Sorry no help.

The seals part number will depend on the machine shop. They will match up to whatever cutter they use on the guides.