Smoking ECM

'71buickg.s.

I have recently converted my car over to 83# injectors. The ECM was modded for the injectors. Ran the car down the track a couple of times and discovered that I needed a new wastegate salenoid. Got that in and took car for a leasure ride. Got about 5 miles from my house and ECM burned up. Litterally started smoking. I have sent another ECM to be modded. My question is. Is this ECM going to burn up right away, or was the other one just done. The other ECM was only modded for about a year. Can someone give me some insight? I can't afford to replace every time out. Any replies would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marty

[QUOTE='71buickg.s.]I have recently converted my car over to 83# injectors. The ECM was modded for the injectors. Ran the car down the track a couple of times and discovered that I needed a new wastegate salenoid. Got that in and took car for a leasure ride. Got about 5 miles from my house and ECM burned up. Litterally started smoking. I have sent another ECM to be modded. My question is. Is this ECM going to burn up right away, or was the other one just done. The other ECM was only modded for about a year. Can someone give me some insight? I can't afford to replace every time out. Any replies would be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]

I have a Bailey modified ecm that has more miles, and hours on the test bench then you can imagine, without any sort of failure.
Like any electrical devise, one can fail thou.

The best answer, would be taking an ohm meter, and going thur the outputs to make sure one wasn't too low, and overloading the ecm.

John, what parts do you need? The pnh drivers or other chips?

Like Bruce said, most last forever and some don't. If you have another ecm, try to drive it for at least a week (in a car with high impedance injectors) to make really sure it is okay, before you pay to have it modded for the low impedance injectors.

John,
I still have the smokin' one. If your interested in it pm me a phone #.

Thanks for the replys.

Does anybody know how long a non-moddified ECM will run low impedience injectors before it burns up? What kind of damage would using it sparringly do the the non modded ECM, if any. I have used one to drive car home 5 miles and toput car on and off a trailer so far. Still works and no smoke. In case you can't tell, I'm pretty ignorant about these cars. I do have a passion to learn. Moved away from my crutch in Dallas. Patrick Smith used to be at my house all the time. Looking for a new best friend who knows these cars in Cincinnati Area. Lonnie Diers, do you need a new friend????
Thanks,
Marty

[QUOTE='71buickg.s.]
Does anybody know how long a non-moddified ECM will run low impedience injectors before it burns up?

What kind of damage would using it sparringly do the the non modded ECM, if any.
[\QUOTE]

I went ~300 miles once, on a road trip without hurting one.

The injector drivers are what die. The higher the DC, the less time they have for *cooling off*. So at WOT, you'd be putting alot more heat into them then at idle/cruise.

I used one for a month, but did not race with it, no smoke!

So the post office has lost the new re-maned ECM that I was sending to Full throttle. Does anyone have a modded ecm for sale?
Marty