smoking

1turbo6

I took my car out for a spin today after work and at a red light I noticed that it was smoking out the tailpipes when at a stop in drive. when I got home I could not get it to do it but noticed the o2's were at 820 and BLM at 142
(I think) at idle in drive. lower at cruise but would drop very low (100ish)My car has a history of running lean, so when I get home I noticed when I rev the car to about 4000 rpm it would smoke out the pipes pretty good . It looks blueish white. I pulled the MAF pipe off to check the turbo shaft play and it seemed ok(whew! thought the turbo took a dump) the pipes seemed pretty sooty when I rubbed my finger in it. If the o2 died would it smoke this bad? it smells pretty rich, but I would expect the smoke to be black if it was fuel. Any ideas? the engine has only about 3-4 k miles.

I would change the O2. The BLM's seem pretty high indicating the computer is adding fuel to the mixture due to a bad 02 or possibly an exhaust leak.

When my 02 fails in my car after running race gas sometimes it wont throw a code but will smoke out of the pipes when idling or part throttle.

Swap out the sensor and go from there.

new O2 sensor on the way, will pull plugs tonight and see how they look. I hope it is just the sensor took a crap and decided to dump fuel like crazy. would oil from a bad turbo seal drive up the O2's? the shaft had very little play and next to none in/out.

plug pics

heres the pics of the plugs look good but #3 seems to clean?

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 152
Yeah they look clean but its hard to tell. Give us a close up? I just want to verify the plugs are not oil contaminated.

the were not wet at all, and looked as I would think they should, plus I already put them back in. I will pull the o2 sensor and see how it looks. can I get to this with a wrench?

yes you can get it with a wrench. the plugs look good they dont look like they have any oil on them.how old is the turbo?

not too sure I bought it from grumpy last summer he said it had low mileage and does not seem to have any shaft play in/out and very little up/down. what do you think about my #3 plug possible bad injector?

#3 doesnt look to bad. how many miles on these injectors? Did you have the PP installed the whole time these plugs where in? Could be the ported heads or ported intake flowing alittle more on the one cylinder.

yes the pp was in the whole time the plugs were in. I think it may be a bad head gasket. I didnt notice it get hot until today when I was warming it up after reinstalling the old o2 sensor. blm were better but o2's still higher than normal. anyways it got up to about 200 and I checked the antifreeze and it was low. funny thing is the smoke smells like oil and lots of fuel. I will do a compression test this week to see if that is why #3 is so clean. It does not smell like a/f at all so I am stumped. oil is clean and coolant seems oil free. what would cause the thing to smell so rich??? it only seems to smoke when you rev it up?