So, who's running one of TurboTweaks SD chips?

I have the SD chip and it has probably saved my engine at leat half a dozen times over the past year. 6265 turbo has been a bear to control boost levels and the preset AFR feature has kept me out of trouble more than once.

So there are enhancements in 19 and 20. Haven't seen anything about this on TT forum on SD chips. I updated software recently, Version 1.33.181, and I have 4 new readings that I did not have at the end of last year:

1) AFR correction which allows you to add/reduce fuel to minimize computer adjustments

2) VE. I have no idea what this is.

3) Another MAP reading that differs from the old readings so which one is right?

4) Afterstart. I have no idea what this is either.

Can anyone explain these to me?

I also was getting some really weird gargabe that was showing up on my ScanMaster and locking it up. Indecipherable stuff that would disappear after the car was shut off and restarted. Turned the key on in the garage to make a few chip changes and hear this ticking sound from under the hood.
Traced that to the boost solenoid which I haven't used in nearly 10 years.
Guess the ECM was picking up some signals form the solenoid because the odd messages have not been seen since I disconnected the solenoid.

Disco Stu: I look forward to meeting you this fall. May need your help in tuning my car so it will get into the 10's.

Phil Engle

I had no idea there was a new version of the chip either? Probably need to request a new chip:D

I've been running the SD chip since it first came out and consider it one of the best things that I've done to my car.

I had no idea there was a new version of the chip either? Probably need to request a new chip:D

I've been running the SD chip since it first came out and consider it one of the best things that I've done to my car.

Look at the properties of the PLC application file and it will tell you the version. Eric also keeps the latest version in the forum on his website. Update yours for a few minutes of your time.

Phil Engle

VE= volumetric effeciency
Thanks for that information.

So what is good for our cars? I'm getting readings in the 72 to 74% range while making 588 RWHP on pump gas and alky at 23 #'s boost on a Mustang dyno and I have no clue if the VE reading I am getting is good or bad.

Appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Look at the properties of the PLC application file and it will tell you the version. Eric also keeps the latest version in the forum on his website. Update yours for a few minutes of your time.

I'm running PLC version 1.3.26, but that just pertains to the Powelogger software, Right?

Unless things have changed, I thought to get the new 19 & 20 parameters I'd need to request a new chip.

Thanks,
Eric

Update is just for Powerlogger software. Mine has some features that come with the version I have and they are not on the latest version posted on the TT forum.

Didn't know about the changes to parameters 19 and 20. Don't think I have problems with the areas these changes address.

Update is just for Powerlogger software. Mine has some features that come with the version I have and they are not on the latest version posted on the TT forum.

Didn't know about the changes to parameters 19 and 20. Don't think I have problems with the areas these changes address.

I don't really have problems with the Idle area, but I do get a lean bump whenever I nail the throttle. I've been using spool fuel to help me over come that, but the acceleration enrichment sounds like the exact cure for my issue.

Thanks for that information.

So what is good for our cars? I'm getting readings in the 72 to 74% range while making 588 RWHP on pump gas and alky at 23 #'s boost on a Mustang dyno and I have no clue if the VE reading I am getting is good or bad.

Appreciate any feedback you can provide.

I did some research about VE and found a calculator and ran through the following numbers:

Input Calculator Output
Displacement: 234 Air Density .075416

RPM 6075 HP 783

MAF 669.2 RWHP 603 :biggrin:

IAT 67.1 VE % 285.353

PowerLogger shows VE as 71%. AFR correction will be good information.

RWHP numbers are close to dyno numbers so I'm okay with the VE calculation. I said controlling boost was a problem; boost was 28.1 in this frame, 25.8 in previous frame and 23.8 in following frame. Going to put in Jason's megapuck later this summer when the it's cooler. Also plan to move IAT to the up pipe. Look forward to getting to the track with some 50-60* weather.

nice HP numbers!

Thanks.

The VE number made me smile since I believe it is telling me that my engine is very efficient. My thought is that a turbo car at 29.4#'s of boost should have a VE of 300% to be 100% efficient for the volume of air being input into the engine. 285% at 28.1#'s boost is extremely good and I will be calling my engine builder today to tell him thanks once more.

If I'm on target or way off base, somebody let me know.

AFR correction % is to help you see what the correction is doing.

The other readings, VE, MAP, and Afterstart, are mainly for me to look at when tweaking a chip. They are not much use to the end user. That particular MAP reading is not the actual MAP reading, so don't pay attention to it. VE is programmed by me, it will never be over 100%.