You can type here any text you want

Soft Brake Pedal - Follow-up To "Can't Get Brakes to Bleed"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Hey,

Been reading the other thread and have similar problems. Here's my set-up:
B-body wagon front spindles
1LE front rotors
Howe Racing dual 2.1215" piston calipers (#33701)
'78 B-body iron master cylinder
Stock rear drums with S-10 wheel cylinders
Monte vacuum brake booster
Monte vacuum brake pedal

Problem I have is too much pedal travel or soft pedal. Since the changes the pedal takes a lot of travel to stop the car. After the travel the pedal gets hard and the car stops well.

Anyone with a similar set-up? I am wondering if I need a different master size. Seems like I need to move a larger volume of fluid before things start happening.

I am suspect of my master cylinder so my plan now is to put a rebuilt B body master on and bleed the brakes a few times. :D

Any thoughts or similar experience to get a firm quick pedal?

I have a powermaster with the S10 wheel cylinders. Same problem. When I apply the parking brake, it's right at the top of the pedal but when I hit the brakes thay feel like they want to go to the floor. I tried gravity bleeding and pedal bleeding to no avail. Good luck.

Darkred, your's is a bad adjustment on the rears. That's why it gets better when your brake is on. Dave, it sounds like your master isn't big enough for the brakes you have. You will need to get a NEW master not a rebuilt. I've had problems with rebuilts and the last one I tried to use at the shop. I went through 5 in one day and ended up getting a new one in the end and it cost me the profit. I will NEVER use another rebuilt one again.

Yeah, my gut feeling is that all of the parts I put together are not doing the job together. I like the idea but need to do some debuggin.

Back