You can type here any text you want

Soft pedal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
I replaced the power master and now the brake pedal is too soft. There are no leaks and I bled them both at the master cylinder and at the 4 corners. I attended a seminar once at Bowling Green, where Richard Clark said if you tighten a screw somewhere on the powermaster, your brakes will throw you through the windshield. I don't remember where he said that screw is located, and I couldn't find any screws on the P/M. Mechanic said to maybe adjust the rear shoes, but they worked better before I replaced the P/M. Any suggestions? Could the new master cylinder be at fault? Also, it came with the new style accumulator. Could the old style work better? Thanks.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

I Have Rebuilt Many Powermasters, And I Can't Recall Any Screw In It At All. We Have Modified The Control Valve Inside To Increase The Valve Opening, Which Works Well. But The Weakness In The P/m Is The 12v Motor/pump. One Advantage Of The Hydroboost Is That Any Piston Size Master Can Be Bolted To It, From 7/8" To 1.625". It Uses Conventional Style Gm Masters. The Power Master Comes With A 1.250" Piston Diameter, But Must Use A Higher Positioned Pin On The Pedal To Gain The Leverage To Push It. That Is Why The Pedal Is So Hard To Push, When The P/m Motor Fails. The Regal Master Is 24mm Or 15/16" And The Pm Is 1.250". The Spongy Pedal Can Be Air In The Calipers., Loose Wheel Bearings, Or Rear Brake Shoe Adj. The P/m Is Will Bleed Itself, Just By Driving, The Air Bubbles Will Work Back To The Reservoir.

The mechanic adjusted both sides in the rear and now they work great. On one side, a spring was put in wrong. He said they are supposed to be self adjusting, but rarely work that way. Do you have any master cylinders for the powermaster already rebuilt? I bought one off ebay.

Back