You can type here any text you want

Solid Roller Lifter cams?

• Thread starter Thread starter LikeMy6
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
L

LikeMy6

Guys,
Im interested in knowing with all the advancements in cams and lifters over the years is it possible to use a knock sensor w/t a solid roller cam these days? I mean a tame cam profile not an all out race profile,one that can be used for both street and strip.I am just curious being that a hyd. Roller is pretty loud as well as some hyd flat tappet cams that seem to work w/t the Knock sensor. let me know what the word is.

TIA

I doubt it. With solid flats in my old S1 it false knocked all over at part throttle, yet not a peep at wot :-) With the new solid roller mill I don't even run a knock sensor in it. Just C16 and set on kill all the time :-)

TurboTR

I havent had a chance to hear a solid roller, but have heard a hyd. roller and it was pretty noisy. tho it never set off the knock sensor. I was thinkin that a tight lash solid roller shouldnt be much louder than a hyd. one. solid flat tappets are a different story tho. anyone out there ever try some of the new solid roller designs and be able to use the Knock sensor?

TIA

I ran one with absolutely no problems. I ran a 224/224 solid roller with J&E's and a 6.5" rod and Pauls good mounts No false knock ever actually the knock sensor worked pretty well.
Chris Lyons

I should mention though I did use a std HYD roller lifter that was converted to a solid. It still had the spring in it and would take some of the lash out when the cam was on the base. Very trick and worked very well not to mention solved all my oiling problems. Heavy lifter though but it was very quiet as far as solid rollers go.

Hey Todd did you get the new mill running? Hows it run? Whats the scoop?
Chris Lyons

That sounds trick Chris, are you still using that setup? I am thinking about using a Comp Cam solid roller with the very light solid roller lifters Cal Hartline showed them to me,but I didnt think of asking about the Knock sensor. Hes out of state for a couple of weeks so I thought Id ask here. are you the Chris Lyons that was featured in a past GMHTP issue? anyways I was hoping that they would be quiet enough to use the knock sensor since the hydralics roller lifters are on national back order with no info when they will be available!:(
anyone else got any experience on this?

Just wanted to provide links to anyone doing a search on reputable vendors. Read these interesting threads.

http://www.turbobuicks.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000021;p=1
http://www.turbobuicks.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000032

Yeah chris, got about 150 miles on 'er now. It's fast :-) But the 160's are proving a bit fussy on the street so far. Needs some more tuning time.

TurboTR

That was me in GMHTP. Glad to see you got it runnign Todd any chance of making it to Bristol?

Well sorry to ninja the thread, but yes there's a chance, IF the darn job market will ever start cooperating again...

TurboTR

Back