You can type here any text you want

Some eng build questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

Hey guys..got a few questions...
1.if using main studs...what needs to be done to the block..if any...what could be the effects of just putting them in to a stock block during a rebuild??

2.shouldnt there be a loss of oil pressure when theres a rod knock??even if its light???

3.will to much side clearance between two rods sound like a rod knock..maybe slap each other??/

4.when resizing rods and the such...wouldnt a rod thats out of round show up...and can arp rod bolts be reused or replaced???

5.if theres a blockage or restriction/obstruction through the oil passages wouldnt there be erratic oil pressure readings???

Thanx guys will have more later im sure....vinny

#1 IDK perhaps a good cleaning and oil them.
#2 No
#3 No, all even fire engines have split pin crankshafts, the rods are not on one common journal so the rod's don't ever touch.
#4 Yes, Yes
#5 No not really, The source for the oil pressure gauge is right after the pump.

1. I recommend when installing studs it to do a line hone.

Of course if you are going this far spend the extra couple of hundred dollars and do billet mains in the 2 and 3 spot. Makes for an excellent strong bottom.

2. Sometimes the oil pressure drop is not that signifcant to show on a gauge.

These are not priority main oiling system so the rods are the last to get oil. These engines also use very tight tolerances so a rod knock may occur with .004 clearances without seeing a signifcant oil pressure drop

3. I personally have never seen this so my answer is no.

4. ARP hardware can be reused. Usually when resizing rods yes imperfections would be seen. Usually the reason for recon the rods. I will say though that I bought brand new GM 2 dot rods with SPS hardware for I think it was 200 bucks, a really good deal for ready to go items that are good to mid 10.

5. The restriction would not usually cause erratic oil pressure unless the restriction was moving or changing the orifice size.

Hope this helps

When using the studs for the main caps and no line hone was done...what would be the effects....damage....problems....thnx again vinny

Based on my personal experience with my personal block there was no difference in journal measurements between stock bolts and ARP studs.

There is NOTHING wrong with re-using the stock main cap bolts. Studs "should" be installed carefully to ensure proper journal dimensions. They are thicker than a facktory bolt and sometimes move the cap in a different position, requiring line hone and even requiring the cap hole to be machined oblong for clearance. If this is a 550hp or less rebuild, stick with stock rod and main bolts. I have NEVER seen a factory rod bolt fail or a main cap bolt, either. I have seen broken main caps, and lots of bent rods, never a fastener failure in a Buick V6. If the rod bearing spun in the cap, just replace the entire rod. TONS of good rods out there for cheap. Lots of guys have them laying around in thier shops due to K1 rods being dirt cheap these days.

There is NOTHING wrong with re-using the stock main cap bolts. Studs "should" be installed carefully to ensure proper journal dimensions. They are thicker than a facktory bolt and sometimes move the cap in a different position, requiring line hone and even requiring the cap hole to be machined oblong for clearance. If this is a 550hp or less rebuild, stick with stock rod and main bolts. I have NEVER seen a factory rod bolt fail or a main cap bolt, either. I have seen broken main caps, and lots of bent rods, never a fastener failure in a Buick V6. If the rod bearing spun in the cap, just replace the entire rod. TONS of good rods out there for cheap. Lots of guys have them laying around in thier shops due to K1 rods being dirt cheap these days.

thank you.

A.j.

WHATS UP GUYS....TAKE A LOOK AT THIS ROD BEARING...ALL SIX ROD BEARINGS LOOK LIKE THIS....NOTHING DOWN TO THE COPPER....YET THIS ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS A ROD KNOCK WHEN YOU BLIP THE THROTTLE AND IT RETURNS TO IDLE....CAN YOU HAVE A ROD KNOCK WITHOUT THE BEARING BEING WIPED OUT????WHAT DO YOU THINK..I NEED HELP..:confused:

Attachments

• 100_0500.jpg
    100_0500.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 280
Back