Some GT turbo info

Sigh, it looks like the map got dropped off when pte redid their website. I'm pretty sure I have a copy at home. If so, I'll put it up somewhere and post the link. Also, looking at all their listings, it seems they offer "real" GT turbos (as Two Lane puts it) with either regular or ball bearings.

has anyone called Garret directly and spoken to any of their sales/tech guys? .. if they have any the general public can speak to..?

Originally posted by ijames
Twolane, you have posted several times that a complete GT turbo is automatically a ball bearing turbo.

""Do you know this for a fact? ""
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Until having found the same consistent info from several different sources, it's of no use in my book.

Here's one of several, quoted below.

Also, do a Google on GT turbos by Garrett, in addition to the Garrett PDF catalog. Simplistically, the 2 major improvements in the GT-series are: 1.) Improved aerodynamics and 2.) the use of ball-bearings.

QUOTE==================================

Garrett basically has two lines of turbos. The older, out-dated T series turbos and the newer ball bearing GT series turbos.

T family has T22, T25, T3, T350, To4B, To4E, TS04, To4R ...These are very old, WWII generation turbos.

The newer line of GT turbos are ball bearing on journal and thrust bearing.

The turbine and compressor wheels are improved aerodynamically to flow more air.

SOURCE:==============================

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/turboupgradeforvg30dett/id4.html

Then, research the newest Garrett GT-R series.

HTH :) :)

The GT-series have been out for some time...the info/hardware is only now disseminating into the TR Buick world...verrrry slowly.

Note the "Proprietary Notice" at the bottom of the compressor map for the SC61. Maybe this is why it was removed from the Precision web page.

I have heard that Garrett feels this information is proprietary and they do not want it released. Their web page does have compressor maps for different compressors, but they are overlayed with many different combinations and it is difficult to make any sense of the maps.

I appreciate the posting of this map.

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin

Any updates as to when the true/complete GT turbos for TRs will be released by PTE?

(Last word was "by Christmas") :confused:

TIA!! :)

I bought basically the same turbo you did. P trim turbine in a Precision .63 housing, GT67 compressor in a to4s (60-1) 4" inlet 2.5" outlet housing. I was surprised to see when it arrived that it is a small shaft turbo. I guess this is the new upper limit for compressor wheel size on a small shaft? I have to do some plumbing before I bolt it on. I'm moving my 3" maf to the uppipe so the 4" inlet will be unrestricted.

Bringing back an oldie!

Originally posted by 87GN_70GS
Both the Turbonetics and Ray Hall sites lists "max flow" for the GT40 (61 mm) 56 trim wheel at 60 or 65 lbs/min (depending), but have no maps.
The GT42 (67 mm) comp wheel is listed at 85 lbs/min but is the 52 trim version, not what you're looking for.

The GT42 wheel is closer to 68mm than 67 (67.818). I think that the GT67 wheel is actually out of the TO4R (66.5mm). Anyone find a map for this wheel yet?

The GT61 compressor wheel is out of the GT35R turbo. You can get that map on www.turbobygarrett.com:)

The TO4r wheel is what PTE has been using in PT67's, are you sure this is a new wheel? I thought it had been around for a while now?