Some GT turbo info

ijames

I posted some of this in the GT upgradeability thread but figured it deserved a new thread.

Ever since Garrett announced these, we have all been waiting and waiting for more info. I spent some time on the phone with Joe Lubrant of Precision and wanted to pass on what I've learned as of July, 2003. First, Garrett is selling complete turbos for other cars but they do not have a 3-bolt turbine housing so they aren't selling them for our cars yet. Precision is working on adapting their turbine housing to the new center section and will be supplying that to Garrett when it is ready, which may be several more months. At that point vendors will be able to order complete units with either plain bearings or the double ball bearings, instead of assembling them themselves, if they so choose. For now, Precision (and others) are buying a few different sizes of the new GT wheels and using them in their current turbos, with the same housings and center sections we've seen for the last several years. This means that you most likely won't be able to upgrade a current "GT" turbo to a true ball bearing GT turbo, since only the wheels would carry over but not the backing plates, center section, or housings (Joe didn't say this explicitly; this is my summary of several things he did say). The wheels are lighter than the corresponding old wheels for better spoolup, and are more efficient. In Garrett's terminology, wheels are specified by their inducer and exducer diameters, where the inducer part is where air or exhaust enters. So, on the turbine side the inducer diameter is larger than the exducer diameter, and this is reversed on the compressor side. If you take the square of the ratio of the smaller diameter to the larger diameter, times 100, you get the "trim". This is useful if you are comparing a series of wheels with one diameter fixed, for example the exducer diameter on a set of compressor wheels (the outer, larger diameter, so they all fit the same compressor housing), since if everything else is held constant the airflow should be proportional to the trim. For example, for the 60-1 compressor wheel used in the TE60 (and others), the inducer diameter is 2.324" and the exducer diameter is 3.000" so the trim is (2.324/3.000)^2 * 100 = 60. Or you can just think of the trim as another arbitrary part of the name of a particular wheel :). Manufacturers also use names for the trim, when they are changing both diameters at the same time. Best known examples of this are the TO4 series P trim (inducer diameter 2.922", exducer diameter 2.544", so 76 trim) and the Q trim (inducer diameter 3.111", exducer diameter 2.693", so 75 trim) turbine wheels (yes, there are also N (inducer diameter 2.922", exducer diameter 2.071", so 50 trim) and O (inducer diameter 2.922", exducer diameter 2.296", so 62 trim) trims, but they don't seem to be as useful as other choices in TR turbos).

The first GT wheel that was available in turbos for the TRs was the GT350 turbine wheel, used in the PT 51 (70 trim) and PT52 (76 trim) that have been available for about three years now. The only other GT turbine wheel that I've heard mentioned is the GT-Q Q trim, with the same dimensions as the old Q trim (2.69/3.11") but lighter and with higher efficiency so it should make more power than the old Q trim and spool approximately as fast as the old P trim.

On the compressor side the first two wheels out are the GT61 (inducer diameter 2.416", exducer diameter 3.227", 56 trim) and the GT67 (inducer diameter 2.620", exducer diameter 3.310", 63 trim). The compressor map for the GT61 is available from Precision (http://www.precisionte.com/sportcompact/Maps/SC61.pdf). Comparing this to the map for the old 60-1 wheel (http://64.225.76.178/catalog/compmaps/fig9.html, among others), the GT61 flows about the same maximum amount of air, enough for about 600 hp max (my estimate from the map, not a spec from Joe), but the GT61 is more efficient and maintains this efficiency to much higher pressure ratios (to at least 33 psi vs. about 27 psi at 50 lbs/min airflow or about 500 hp). This means that on a stock headed stock intercooled engine that needs to run lots of boost, the GT61 will make more power. With ported heads or GN1s where more hp can be made at lower boost, the GT61 still wins due to the better efficiency but the difference will be smaller. So far I haven't found a map for the GT67 but Joe described it as similar to the old T66 but with higher efficiency and again, a much larger efficient region extending to well over 30 psi boost. I've heard a GT70 wheel mentioned but have no info on it. There is also a 66 mm TO4R wheel available, which is also lighter than the old T66 wheel and more efficient at lower pressure ratios. It would be interesting to compare the maps for the GT67, T66, and TO4R 66 mm when they are all available.

Now, on to complete turbos available from Precision (I'm sure the other vendors can assemble comparable units but I have pricing from Precision). A good summary of current non-GT turbos is available at http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turbowheels.html. The old 60-1 compressor wheel is used in the TE60, PTE52, PTE54, and TE61 turbos (and of course the TA series as well), with progressively larger turbine wheels that provide less backpressure, more power, and more lag. So far, the GT61 is only available together with a GT350 turbine, in 70 and 76 trim, in the small shaft format (the 70 trim might not be available with the Precision 3 bolt housing but I'm sure everyone will want the 76 trim anyway). That makes it most comparable to a PTE52 (60-1 and GT350 76 trim). Price is $675 with no elbow or actuator, with the standard TE compressor cover (actually a TO4E 3" inlet 2" outlet cover), and with the larger TO4S 4" inlet 2.5" outlet cover for an additional $100. The GT67 wheel is available with three different turbines. All of these are large shaft turbos, and cost $1075 with the TO4E compressor housing and $1175 with the TO4S housing. The smallest uses the TO4 69 trim turbine (inducer diameter 2.92", exducer diameter 2.42"), the same turbine used in the PTE53, PTE54, and TE61 turbos. None of the common TR turbos uses this combination of such a large compressor and small turbine so there doesn't seem to be anything to compare it to. The next one uses the TO4 P trim turbine, and the last one uses the new GT-Q trim turbine. The best comparison for the P trim version is the Precision PT66, Limit Engineering TE-45A, and Turbonetics T66 (with P trim) which all use the T66 compressor wheel and P trim turbine. According to Joe the GT67 will outspool these and make a few more hp. From what I've seen, most people don't step up to a Q trim turbine until the compressor is 72 mm or larger, but if the GT-Q can really outspool the old P trim then the GT67 Q may turn out to be the most popular of the three - time will tell.

Well, that's all the info I have. Hopefully Precision will get their website updated soon with this info and with hp/et estimates for the various configurations, and more compressor maps.

Joe and John, please correct anything I've misstated.

Thorough & Meticulous Reporting

Thanks again, Carl!

The full, fast & free flow of info is the essence and true value of a Message Board.

Your post & info is an excellent model for "how-to" post a very understandable & helpful comparative technical product description.

Just excellent! :)

You mean the GT350 wheel in the 51's that alot of people dont like is some of the new GT technology? I think the 51 is pretty good turbo for me but I havent ran it over 2psi yet either but id think that if the GT350 is new technology & still used maybe the wheel wasnt bad..maybe the turbo company that built them had the wheels clipped or something for quicker spool & when they fixed that problem maybe thats when they quit clipping them..thats what a reputible turbo shop close to me said might have happened anyways...So I already have half a GT turbo right now.all I need is the intake wheel side..when can I get it?
Brian

I just wanted to post a clarification regarding the Name Identifications for the 61 & 67 PTE turbo's for our TR's.

The i.d.'s are PT 61 & PT 67 not GT 61 or GT 67. Although the turbo's use the GT compressor wheels they are not true complete GT turbo's.

These turbo's are available with various turbine wheel types.

The PT 67 is available with a 69, 76 (P) or GTQ trim turbine wheel.

The PT 61 is available with a 69, 76 (P) or T350-76 trim turbine wheel.

The 3-bolt PTE .63 & .85 TR Turbine housings and T4 4-bolt housings still remain an option.

Joe
PTE
219-996-7832

For maps, just go to the source. Garrett's website shows many compressor and turbine maps for the GT series. It's interesting that the compressor for the GT60 turbo, which is 141mm and 56 trim flows a max of ~175 lb/min, enough for ~1750 hp!!. Think I'll need 2 of those!
Garrett's website
Go there and download the catalog, maps are in it.

For maps, just go to the source. Garrett's website shows many compressor and turbine maps for the GT series. It's interesting that the compressor for the GT60 turbo, which is 141mm and 56 trim flows a max of ~175 lb/min, enough for ~1750 hp!!. Go there and download the catalog, maps are in it.
But neither the GT 61 mm 56 trim nor the GT 67 mm 63 trim maps are in that catalog. Also, while they do show turbine maps, they don't include the GT350 turbine map or the GT Q trim either. I was pretty excited when I first downloaded that catalog, but it's basically useless for current TR offerings. Does anyone have a copy of the GT 67 mm 63 trim map they could post, email, or fax? Please?

Both the Turbonetics and Ray Hall sites lists "max flow" for the GT40 (61 mm) 56 trim wheel at 60 or 65 lbs/min (depending), but have no maps.
The GT42 (67 mm) comp wheel is listed at 85 lbs/min but is the 52 trim version, not what you're looking for.

ijames,

Thanks for taking the time to post exellent info. I too am waiting for more info on the new GT wheel to surface so I can pick the right one for my combo. One tool that may be helpful for the not so turbo savey like myself, would be to see a cross reference chart that compares todays turbo with the new turbo's.

For example, if I have a PTE-51 today with a 3000 stall and stock heads, which turbo with a GT wheel should I consider? PT-67 p trim? PT-61? And how does that new turbo compare to what's existing. Meaning if I have a PTE-51, I should uprade to a PT-67 p trim and it would be like having a TE-45a but without the increased lag from a larger turbo.

Thanks
Frank

BEFORE CHRISTMAS? WAIT & SEE...

Reportedly, the TRUE, COMPLETE, GENUINE "GT" turbos (for TRs, from Buick vendors) will be out by Christmas 2003.

Of course, seeing is believing, but if true, it'd be well worth the 3-4 months wait versus buying one of the "in-between" hybrids being sold in the meantime.

HTH :)

I just returned my new 4 bolt 66mm GTQ turbo to John. It wouldn't spool at all.

He's heard from a few others who have this wheel and the smaller engines (231) and it won't spool. He said he's going to stop selling this wheel to people with the smaller engines.

Apparently it spools OK with the larger Stage engines.

That may be some of the problem with my spool. Mine has the same Q trim wheel from John also. But im going to try some more stall 1st,more like 3800 stall. Im happy with the turbo and dont wanna loose my top end charge from the Q...

Louie....

I also bought a brand spanking new 9/11 from Art Carr for this turbo. 3800 stall. The boost would get to 5 psi at the 7 second mark as recorded on FAST.

I don't think the converter has as much to do with the spool on this wheel as the lack of exhaust from the small 231. Combine that with the 4 bolt .83 housing and there just ain't enough exhaust being moved to fill and move the wheel with those long fins on the Q trimmed wheel.

And yes...I tried fatter, leaner, retarded the timing....no help.

I know what you mean about not wanting to lose your top end....but that's what the 11 is all about in the 9/11. At least that's why I got it....efficiency of the 9" along with a clutch to lockup for the top.

Thanks for the info, Chris. Out of curiousity, why did you go with a 66 (presumably the old T66 wheel) instead of the new GT67 compressor wheel?

As for how the new wheels fit in, I tried to cover that in my first post. On paper (we'll have to wait for the track results to improve this), the GT61 compressor wheel should be a step up from the old 60-1 wheel, but how much of a step I don't know. It may be that a GT61 with GT350 turbine is equivalent to a 60-1 with 69 trim (TE61 and PTE54; the next step up beyond the 60-1 with GT350 which is a PT52) turbine, or maybe even the next step up, the TE62 (P trim), in peak hp. At least one poster has said that he thinks his GT61 will be real close to his old T66 (TE45a, I think), but that would be a remarkable improvement. It may be that his et will be similar, with better spooling making up for less top end, but that's my speculation. As for the GT67, it should be a step up from the T66-based turbos (TE45a, PT66, Turbonetics T66) but whether it's all the way up to equivalent to a T70 on the top end remains to be seen. Precision's web site has been "under construction - come back soon" for the last few days, so hopefully they will have a listing of their airflow and hp specs on these combinations so we can better choose from amongst the new choices available soon.

What I'd personally like to see to guide my next purchase is a map for the GT67, and to know whether Garret plans a GT P trim turbine, if the Q trim really is too much for 3.8's. Joe? John? Any info to share?

I had my old set of ATR 4 bolt headers that I took off my Stage engine so I wanted to use these. I also wanted to run TSM in Vegas (slightly illegal but I'll bribe Jason :) ) so when I talked to John I asked him what 4 bolt turbo would move the equivalent amount of air as the 3 bolt T-70. He came up with this compressor/turbine combo. He said it would be within 1 lb of air as the T70. So that's what I ordered.

As I previously stated...when I phoned John to tell him that this turbo won't spool, he said he'd had some calls already from others that said the same thing about their turbos using this turbine wheel on a 231 engine.

My turbo should be in his hands by tomorrow so I'll phone him then and discuss it further to see what else we can do the match the 3 bolt T-70....although at this point I've backed off with my idea of running illegal TSM since my S2 engine should be ready to go by then.

BTW...thanks for all the good scientific explanations you've given us on the varied wheels and combos.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE, BUT NO ONE LIVES FOREVER

We're hoping the true/complete (BB) GT-67 is available in the next few weeks...otherwise an Innovative dual-BB will be on its way.
============================================

Car has sat for almost an entire year "waiting" for several (way overdue) parts. Been strung along enough on several, & it's just time to move on past "disappointment-city".

Like to enjoy it again, you know? :)

Twolane, you have posted several times that a complete GT turbo is automatically a ball bearing turbo. Do you know this for a fact? Will non-ball bearing center sections not even be offered? Or will there be a choice?

I can not access the PT61 compressor map to make the comparison with the 60-1 map. Has this been removed??

When I compare with the Garett maps I can not determine which compressor is used for the PT61.

Does anyone have a compressor map for the PT61??

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin