Some new TTA pics

I found that either 000 or 0000 steel wool with mothers metal polish works great. After using the steel wool and mothers, wipe it with a cloth and then do it again, but without the mothers. Also works on the aluminum brake lines by the master cylinder, turbo bell, alternator, etc.

How about using that combo (mothers and steel wool) on the VC's or do we have to take them off and get them powder coated as the only solution to clean them up?

HOFSGNX said:
How about using that combo (mothers and steel wool) on the VC's or do we have to take them off and get them powder coated as the only solution to clean them up?

Valve covers are too hard to do while on the car...at least the 1st time. If you take them off and clean them up then you should be able to touch them up from time to time while on the car. I only rubbed on the accumulator for about 20 minutes and it turned out real nice with just a rag and no steel wool. It's not perfect but it looks 100x better...when I get some more time I'll do it over with some steel wool. I also did the fins on top of the "dog house", the turbo housing, stock up-pipe, and Grumpy's 3" MAF pipe as well all in about 1 1/2 hours.

Scott89TTA said:
Valve covers are too hard to do while on the car...at least the 1st time. If you take them off and clean them up then you should be able to touch them up from time to time while on the car. I only rubbed on the accumulator for about 20 minutes and it turned out real nice with just a rag and no steel wool. It's not perfect but it looks 100x better...when I get some more time I'll do it over with some steel wool. I also did the fins on top of the "dog house", the turbo housing, stock up-pipe, and Grumpy's 3" MAF pipe as well all in about 1 1/2 hours.
Ok thanks. It looks really good for only 20 minutes.

Jason

Did mine with some blue magic metal polish. All depends on the metal and how bad it is... took about 10 mins to make mine look like this...

BAY06.jpg

phillyturbosix said:
Did mine with some blue magic metal polish. All depends on the metal and how bad it is... took about 10 mins to make mine look like this...

BAY06.jpg
Very nice Jim. Did you armour all your radiator hoses? :tongue:

Jason

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Between me and my dad we've both put a lot of time into getting it to where it's at today. I'll be getting some more pictures in a couple weeks when it's at the Great Lakes Firebird Gathering to show some more things that I have changed since those pictures.

Jim - How did you get your AC line leading to the accumulator so clean? I'm talking about the cloth part between the battery and radiator.

As for how I polished my accumulator I used steel wool. I think I started out at like a 0 grade and worked up to a 0000. I then used a dremel and Wizards metal polish to give it the shine. I think I have about an hour into it with the occassional little bit of work to keep it shiny.

I'm dying to know how you guys got the areas on the underside of the motor done so nice (frame rails, etc.) - You can only reach/get to so much to polish and clean w/o pulling the motor....or did you...??

joejakegrace said:
I'm dying to know how you guys got the areas on the underside of the motor done so nice (frame rails, etc.) - You can only reach/get to so much to polish and clean w/o pulling the motor....or did you...??

nope as far as I know the motor has never been out of my car. All I did was remover the coolant overflow bottle, the couple of clamps and things bolted t the frame rail, and get to scrubbing and waxing. I put a nice heavy paste wax on at the end so that it'd last a little longer than like a cleaner wax. No need for it to be shiny really, if it just stays looking nice and clean it'll look good in person since the sun isn't going to be really shining down in there that much.