sometimes spool, sometimes not

kevin

87 gn has ford blue tops,49 turbo,kn,stock intercooler,340 pump.my problem is that one time it will spool and get 10# of boost coming off the line and sometimes it will not build any boost foot braking.i was at the track and turned the fuel down to 34#static to get it to spool.i did not run i just wanted to see how much leaner i had to make it to get it to work.i have a tranny from gm its supposed to be for a gn.just wandering if the coverter is to tight.thanks

A scan tool line turbo link will tell you how much rpm you are getting out of your converter. A D5 should give 2200 min, even if the car is pig rich.

A first check is to pull the dust cover off the trans, use a flashlight and make sure the converter has "5 5 5 5 5" stamped all around it. If it does, the odds are good you have a D5. If not, you don't know what you have.

Any exhaust leaks in the headers, crossover and turbine inlet joints can result in slow spool, as can a bad O2 sensor.

As Geno said, the puck could be just barely covering the wastegate hole and sometimes it seals and sometimes it doesn't. Pull off the elbow and verify the carbon pattern on the puck. It should be away from the edges.

thanks for replies,i'll check.i know the converter says x5 not d5 what does this mean?

Originally posted by kevin
thanks for replies,i'll check.i know the converter says x5 not d5 what does this mean?

A D5 converter just has 5's stamped around it. As long as there are a lot of 5's, its a D5. Now turn your attention towards a pre-turbo exhaust leak.