SOUND OFF: Post Your Pick for Best All Around Street/Strip Turbo!

turbonatr

More Cubes!
Let's hear what everyone thinks is the best dual-purpose turbo. Let's say you have a daily driven Turbo Regal (which a lot of us do) and you had to pick ONE turbo that does it all. The best balance of street prowess and track performance. For the sake of example, let's assume the car is a bolt-on ride only, no internal mods. An example would be a stock long block with a fuel system, intercooler, turbo, chip and perhaps throttle body, mass air meter/pipe upgrades. Tranny mods are also ok including the converter. The turbo must be responsive on the street using pump gas, no booster or race gas while on the street. In other words, it must be efficient within pump gas boost pressures.

I would say the tutbo I am running now on my T would fit the bill. It is an older design, but my Turbonetics Stage 4 still puts a smile on my face. It is very responsive on the street and I have had it well in the 11s with an internally stock car. It's just as comfortable and responsive at 15psi as it is at 25-28psi. Sure, a bigger turbo may give me quicker e.t.s in my street car, but at the price of mushy street performance. After all, these are 6cyl cars, not turbo V8s!

How about you guys?

I vote for the TE-60 w/ precision .63 housing. It spools pretty nicely and has great top end power too. A friend of mine had one on his TTA and didn't lose very many races with it.

I had a BB stage 5 T-netics last year and ran very well on the street. 60-1, with an .82 A/R exhaust housing, and stage 5 procomp turbine wheel. (little smaller than a P-trim, 2.439 vs 2.544 exducer diameter.) Worked very well on the street.

I had a Q-trim T70 on my GN and it was OK on the street, but I also had an all out engine to go with it.

Remember, we are talking an internally STOCK engine here, including heads. In that respect, a T70 would be out for the most part.

The TE44/TA49 turbos are great for a street/strip stock longblock TR and the TA/TE61 turbo seems to be a pretty awesome turbo as well for a street/strip stock longblock TR........

My car fit's your description and my Limit Engineering TA-61 does a good job. The TA-49 I had on before did good to the mid-low 11s.

Ta/Te61

I also have to comment on the Ta/Te61 for an all-purpose turbo. It is very well mannered with the .63 Garret housing on it, even with a stock D-5!!:eek:

K.

TA-49. Practically no lag for those little stoplight wars, yet can run high-11's on a stock-block as you describe, with cheap 100-octane gas. Getting 1.6 sixty-foots with 3psi launches off the foot brake with D5 converter is nice - can you say quick spool? Plus, TA-49's are really cheap, all things considered.

If your car is more biased for street and 93-octane, go TA-49. If your car is more biased for the strip and high-octane, go TA-60. One man's opinion.

Later,

I must admit for having a soft spot in my heart for the TA49 as well. Way back in the day, it was my very first turbo upgrade from stock. It did everything well for a pump-gas street car. Spooled quickly, pulled hard and complemented the D5 wonderfully. I know a guy with a non-power GN using a TA49 with a fuel system, front mount and heads going 10.90s. Granted, he is an anomoly, but it proves the potential is there.

Interesting that it seems so far the basic turbo everyone is "voting" for is a turbo capable of supporting around 500-550hp. It seems these size turbos have a niche for the majority of street strip cars. I'm willing to bet this same size turbo would be most popular with non-stock long block cars, too. 5 years ago I would say a 4 bolt turbo of some sort would be on top. 3 bolt turbos have come a long way!

My .02 on this topic.....

The nice thing about the TE44/TA49 turbos is they both work well with the stock D5 converter (very quick spool up)....... For the street most guys want something very responsive and snappy instead of some lag monster that needs a 9" converter with 3500-4000 stall...... There is a very thin line between a car you would want to daily drive and a car you want to just race at the track from what I've seen, but everybody has a different idea of what is streetable and what they consider a daily driver so it really boils down to what YOU like!

Yup, "responsive" is very subjective. One guy may think a Stage 3 Turbonectics windmill is laggy and another may think a T76 is responsive. I drove the GN on the street for about a year or so with a Q trim T70 on it and found it to be well mannered (with a 9" converter). It also had a .58a/r housing which made it nice.

It's a matter of preference.

Intereting thread

I'm still leaning towards the TA 49 myself for all the reasons mentioned above. Although, I've heard good things about the 61, I think a 49 is in my future. Especially if I come across a good deal on one.

One suggestion I might make or ask. How 'bout making a poll on this. Taking several popular turbos and then a "other" category. Would be interested in seeing the results Also, maybe put it on the General Tech so more people see it. Just an idea.

My 49 keeps me ahead of the traffic and doesn't do bad on the local track (WONDERFULLY prepped:( )

Re: Intereting thread

Originally posted by gn85

One suggestion I might make or ask. How 'bout making a poll on this. Taking several popular turbos and then a "other" category. Would be interested in seeing the results Also, maybe put it on the General Tech so more people see it. Just an idea.

I'll go one better and suggest that this thread should be "archived". Lot's of good info for the potential turbo upgrade buyer who drives a stock longblock TR.

CPT-66bb.......funnest turbo I ever had on the street w/ a 3k stall. A 44 or 49 is the best turbo if you don't wanna change convertors.