Speaker works/Richard Clark GN

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
Whatever happened to it? Is it still around? I saw it in Bogart,GA several years ago at a invitational but didn't get to hear it! A couple of guys heard it but said it had great stage and image but they didn't like the low end. Wish I could have heard it!
Later:)

I know!

Its still at Richard Clarks shop. He lets my buddy use his shop to tune a few vehicles (including Garys) when they are down there competing. Gary said it is full of GNs GNXs (still in plastic) with tons of parts in storage. Richards GN is still dis-assembled but may be rebuilt for future competition.

Gary took a bunch of pics of his cars and shop and will e-mail them to me when he gets time. As soon as I receive them, I will post them here.

He hasnt had time to get those pics e-mailed to me yet because he is working night and day on the new Kicker demo truck for the SEMA show in Vegas this week. He asked me to fly out to Vegas for the show but I have too much work to do around here to take off for a week. BTW, I have that mag too :cool: .

AudioWizard, someone emailed me for pics from that mag on RC car. I don't have a flatbed scanner. Can you provide pics of his car from that mag.:cool:

I haven't seen his Buick in years BUT, back in the day I did get to listen to it on a couple of occasions and it sounded...not so good. Stage was good Image was decent...SQ not so great. NOW to be fair...at the time, it was a good sounding car compared to the rest. Technology has come along way since that car was built and the original setup of the Buick would not do well amongst what is now available. Cool car though either way.

Stage was good Image was decent...SQ not so great
zam70, when you say this, what exactly to you mean on the SQ, specifically the bottom end? I have yet to hear a pair of subs in an AP membrane and want to know, is an AP set-up capable of skull crushing SQ bass like a sealed box? I keep hearing conflicting reports.

When I speak of SQ I mean over all....I didn't care for the midrange or tweeter "tone"...it's more of a personal preference type thing.

AP setups DO NOT give you "skull crushing" bass. As a matter of fact it will actually make a woofer play quieter than the same woofer in a traditional setup. They are very linear though. The closest thing to an AP membrane setup is a free air setup. They are very similar but in the AP set up the woofer gets additional support from the AP mats. Helps control the movement of the woofer much like the air in a sealed box acts as a damping spring.

AP mats are for "sound quality" only, NOT sound quantity.
sound quality = all frequencys well balanced in the full spectrum of sound. If your bass booms it is not considered linear or balanced.

Basically, if you want boom, use a sealed or ported box. Don't use bandpass (they boom but are very mono tone), isobaric, freeair, or an AP setup.

Thanks for the reply zam70. Boom is the absolute last thing that I am after. My reference system in our K5 Blazer is anchored by a pair of 12" sealed SS Exacts and these babies rock. On extremely low notes all you do is feel the bass because I don't think that you can physically hear it......no boom, just sonic accuracy. I had an RTA ran on the system and w/o an EQ, tone controls set flat, the system was virtually table top flat from 20-20Khz with only a minor 6db bump at 50hz due to cabin gain so I believe this is a good system to baseline, especially since it does has "skull crushing" bass without "boom":D

I want to set-up my G-body the same way, however, I haven't heard a comparable system in a G-body yet. I'm dying to hear an AP set-up w/HLCD's. My home stereo system uses horn mid's and tweets so I am very familar with their tonal properties. My wife's band uses a Pro PA system with horns too so when I run their sound I can pretty well judge what "live" should sound like too.

Speaker works GN pics update!

I just talked to Gary this evening and his digital camera is locked up and he cant get it to power up to upload the pics of Richard Clarks GNs and shop to e-mail to me. As soon as he gets it uploaded, he will e-mail them to me to post for you guys. I will keep you fellas updated :) .

Hey, since I can take credit for stirring the pot enough by starting the thread listed above by Brad the neat byproduct has been the first ever posted detailed pic's of RC's car now located at http://photos.yahoo.com/eric_holdaway courtesy of Eric Holdaway! Thanks Eric!

Enjoy:D :D :D :D