spearco question

tim sewald

I have a near new Spearco kit that I bought off this site. I have read that alot of people have idling problems. Is this true? If so what will fix it? Is it worth the trouble? I'd like to hear the opinions of guy's that have experience with them.

Thanks
Tim

i don't have one, but as far as i have read they have trouble idling because of all the added volume of the piping and intercooler, especially on a draw- through throttle body. some people say that can be helped by working closely with your chip maker or tuning, but i don't know the details, someone else will have to pick up here.

Imo

I posted this ? a few months ago. After studying the one I was working on, I came to the conclusion that the throttle body is TOO FAR from the intake. The IAC will react to the ECM command, but it take to long for the air adjustment to reach the intake valve,--Eng. dies. Best of luck.
As Rhino suggested, I believe you will have to move the TB back next to the intake.

idle quality

I bought a 84 gn earlier this year that had a spearco front mount intercooler set-up on it. It idled just fine and was the best running hot-air car I'd ever driven. Hope this helps.
Bruce :)

The Spearco kit was DESIGNED for STOCK cars. No mods what so ever. Once you start modifying the car, the IAC cannot handle the new settings. I can only ASSume that the intercooled IAC and the Hot Air are the same. If you converted to 86-87 ECM, this might resolve the issue since the ECM and IAC were designed to handle the flow.

Chuck

Thanks for the input gents. Chuck, the mods I do have are a Kenne Bell chip,33lb. injectors, TTA fuel pump, hot wire kit not installed, kenne bell cold air kit, adj. fuel pressure reg., adj wastegate. Buickpower, I was thinking the same thing about the chip. I am going to contact Eric at turbochip when I install the innercooler.

Tim
I think that Eric might be able to "TUNE" the IAC. I also must give Leeo credit, he is right about the throttle body being too far away from the intake. The computer has to send a command to the IAC and it takes too long to adjust. I think Jeff Scott was also on to something with his JS remote IAC kit. Basically, the IAC is a controlled air leak. The 86-87 must have a different IAC or the ECM has a different command. The designers of the Spearco kit designed the kit for Hot Air parameters, thus they designed it to run in Hot Air mode. The IAC still think the car is Hot. Once you start modding a Hot Air the ECM still thinks the car is HOT Air. I wish my car was not in pieces, because I would test the theory of coverting to 86-87 ECM and have a Turbotweak chip with the Spearco in the Hot Air configuration (throttlebody attached to turbo). I think Eric could fool the IAC to run right :D

BW Jones
Was this car stock, except for the Spearco?

Chuck

spearco intercooler for hot air cars

As far as I know the car was basically stock with a few minor upgrades ....... performance fuel pump, crane 202/210 flat tappet cam, adj. wastegate, flowmaster exhaust, upgraded injectors (but I am uncertain what size they were) and matching aftermarket ecm chip. With a little research, I can probably find out the injector size and who made the chip if it is of interest to anyone.
BW Jones

BW Jones
I think the chip may the ANSWER! If can tell whos chip, this may answer some questions. You combo looks solid. Quick question? How many miles on you car or motor. My IAC is brand new. I changed it before I put my new motor in.

Chuck