You can type here any text you want

Spectra fuel tank has baffles

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Every now and then, I see a question pop up as to whether or not some aftermarket fuel tanks have the necessary baffles in them. So I thought I would post this up to clear the air a bit.

I just installed a new tank made by Spectra (part #GM-307C) and it had metal baffles in it. BTW, part # GM-307A is for the n/a vehicles so their is a distinctly different tank for turbo vs. n/a vehicles. A good portion of the online vendors sell the same tank made by Spectra using the same part # as their reference. However, it pays to shop around. I got it shipped to my door from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto for $190. Some other vendors online are asking upwards of $240 + shipping for the same exact tank.

It looks and fits almost like an OEM part. All I had to do was bend the metal straps just a bit. I spent a little extra time and coated it with a black rubberized coating (took 2 cans) from the local parts store. Looks nice compared to that old rusting thing that was under there before.

Also, I used this opportunity to clean the float contacts on the sender and my fuel gauge works like new.

Are the baffles as tall as the tank itself or is this the one that has a shallow pan that is only about 1/3 to 1/2 as tall as the tank? That one lets all the fuel slosh out on a hard launch so you need at least 1/2 a tank of gas and 3/4 is safer.

Every now and then, I see a question pop up as to whether or not some aftermarket fuel tanks have the necessary baffles in them. So I thought I would post this up to clear the air a bit.

I just installed a new tank made by Spectra (part #GM-307C) and it had metal baffles in it. BTW, part # GM-307A is for the n/a vehicles so their is a distinctly different tank for turbo vs. n/a vehicles. A good portion of the online vendors sell the same tank made by Spectra using the same part # as their reference. However, it pays to shop around. I got it shipped to my door from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto for $190. Some other vendors online are asking upwards of $240 + shipping for the same exact tank.

It looks and fits almost like an OEM part. All I had to do was bend the metal straps just a bit. I spent a little extra time and coated it with a black rubberized coating (took 2 cans) from the local parts store. Looks nice compared to that old rusting thing that was under there before.

Also, I used this opportunity to clean the float contacts on the sender and my fuel gauge works like new.

Good to know, it's on my list of things to get. I think I am just going to clearcoat it as is though. :yup:

They are tall, wall-type baffles made of sheet metal. I can't remember if they went all the way to the top of the tank, but if not, it was close. It wasn't a "doggie bowl" type design.

RUQWKNF27,

Where the float arm attaches to the sending unit there is a D-shaped compartment with a purple wire attached to the top. There are three little tangs that you must bend back to open the housing. Once you remove the cover you'll see a small strip in there with tightly coiled wire that the contact slides against. I used some fine grit sandpaper and sanded the crud/buildup off of the coiled wire and also the little metal contact piece that slides along it. That's it. Also, be careful of the purple wire as mine broke off from the connector and I had to resolder it back (along with some JB Weld). Futhermore, don't lose the little spring that's in there too. :)

Thanks I appreciate it. I like most have the problem of a incorrect fuel gauge. I have cleaned the contacts on back of the actual gauge itself and it is still the same. Guess now I have another reason to upgrade to a better looking tank now!

Back