You can type here any text you want

Speedometer Cable ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NCTyphoon

I think my GN speedo cable broke this morning, no mph displaying, a general whining noise from wheel area when vehicle moving, SES light on..So what replacement cable do I need to get? I called about the part, and NAPA shows them as upper with gear adapter, upper w/o gear adapter, and lower either with or without gear adapter. So which kind do I get? What exactly is the gear adpter for?:confused:

I think that most of the cars with cruise had the two piece cable. If you look around the bottom of the powermaster you should spot where your cable comes out of the firewall. Follow it around and you should run into a "box" laying somewhere around the inner fender panel. That is the adapter. The lower runs from there to the trans. If no box then it is a one peice cable. You will just have to pull it apart at the adapter (or trans) and you can spin the upper cable by hand and have someone watch the speedo hand. If it moves the top one is good. It may not be the cable though. These cars have a vss behind the dash. I'm not sure if it can cause the needle to not move but it will set off the ses light.

Thanks Randy. Mine is a 2 piece cable, just didn't know if I needed which one, and if I needed to get with gear adapter.

I think that most of the cars with cruise had the two piece cable. If you look around the bottom of the powermaster you should spot where your cable comes out of the firewall. Follow it around and you should run into a "box" laying somewhere around the inner fender panel. That is the adapter. The lower runs from there to the trans. If no box then it is a one peice cable. You will just have to pull it apart at the adapter (or trans) and you can spin the upper cable by hand and have someone watch the speedo hand. If it moves the top one is good. It may not be the cable though. These cars have a vss behind the dash. I'm not sure if it can cause the needle to not move but it will set off the ses light.

Randy none of the turbo cars i have ever seen worked on had the manual cruise control box that your talking about. My GN has a 2 piece cable on it also without having that box.

Cheryl i will come and talke a look at the gn in the morning!

adapter?

the only time i saw an adapter on the cars was when there was a 145 mph spedo conversion done . the adapter was to reduce the speedo needle speed to adjust the numbers on the dash so they wouldn't bury the needle at 80mph

I dont think the 2 piece cable is available anymore. You need to go 1 piece or get a used lower or upper section.

Have you checked the gears inside the tail cover of the tranny?

Mine quit and the gear itself had broken. Easy fix. Only one bolt to take out to check it, if I'm not mistaken. Make sure you are over a catch pail because tranny fluid will come out when you pull the cable out of the tail piece.

didnt know about this. are you refering to the cable unsrew then there i one bolt olding a assebly type deal in the tranny? if so i will have to check that on mine. I did my best 60 foot of a 1.68 and the speedo stoped working. car shifted fine but no display. im going to look into the casue soon.

Yeah. Don't try to unscrew the big silver looking cap over the plastic housing.(ask me how I know:mad: ) Take the bolt out of the tail cover on the case. You will have to wiggle the whole assembly to get it out. But it pulls stright out. There is a gear inside the tail cover that matches to a gear at the end of the cable assembly and that is what spins the cable. The part that actually slides over the speedo cable is plastic and smaller than a straw.

Easy place to start looking. I think you can hook a drill up to the cable after you pull the gear out and spin the cable to see if the speedo jumps. That was the advice a friend gave me. I never had to get that far to find the problem.

SloGN changed out the speedo cable this morning, the bottom cable was broke. Mine was a 2 piece cable, but instead of replacing just the lower we ended up replacing it with a 1 piece cable, which worked out better for length. The NAPA replacement part number is 615-1615, barcode 664766035753 and is about $24.95 in case anyone else needs to replace theirs

Back