You can type here any text you want

Speedometers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bakerlaw67

BQQSTED
Does anybody know of a way to recalibrate the speedo so it works beyond 85 mph? At least on the '78 Regal 305 I had back in the 80s there was no trip odo to stop the needle around 85. I think my top speed with the puny 2bbl carb was somewhere around M. That is, the needle pointed directly down to the M in MPH. :eek: Ahh, high school days. :D

The sad part is that we also used to take my dad's 84 Caprice and do the same thing, but the needle would point down to the PRNDL. We had a little space to run though.

Wouldn't it be fairly simple to do some form of gear reduction? It seems that you could cut the rotations exactly in half and although it would be half as accurate on a single MPH, it would allow the speedo to register up to 170 mph. It would also put the 80-110 range at the top.

The 84/87 onwers commonly do something like that, but they use overlays (stickers) that cover the old 85 mph face. The speedometer can be recalibrated by a shop. The only issue may be the Vehicle Speed Sensor, but the shop should know how to handle this.

You could have it read on the km/h scale. Even better would be to get a Canadian faceplate.

How about these projects while your at it. On the boost gauge, cut out the little green section and install a bulb behind it. Then power it by the igintion, or beter yet, add another switch to for it to come on at 0 psi. (It's always bothered me that the green isn't a light)

Another is to wire a light to the torque converter cluth signal and then put it in the dash where the temp idiot light is (not used since the TR has a temp gauge). Change the lense to read "TCC" and you'll know when the clutch is engaged.

Back