You can type here any text you want

Splash guards anyone?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NY_GN

Planning next secret evil upgrade
Belt slips in the rain causing steering to "become manual" and hard control.

Anyone fabricate a splash guard?

Obviously this is for a daily driver.

It sounds like you have the wrong brand and or size of belt on your engine. It should not slip like that.

I've owned a Turbo Regal since 87 and have driven in all types of weather from very hot to very cold, rain, snow,sleet and never had the belt slip like you describe.Something is wrong other than the belt maybe an alignment issue with the pulley's or accessory mounting bracket.

If there isn't an alignment problem with the pulleys or the accessory bracket you might want to try one of these belts from rockauto.com

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=347512&cc=1020957&jnid=442&jpid

I had a problem with belt squeal from slipping on my runabout car,it didn't matter if it was wet out or dry, and i tried many brands of belts. I then found this ACDelco brand and bought and installed and have never had a slipping or squealing problem since and this is about 1 year later.

If there isn't an alignment problem with the pulleys or the accessory bracket you might want to try one of these belts from rockauto.com

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=347512&cc=1020957&jnid=442&jpid

I had a problem with belt squeal from slipping on my runabout car,it didn't matter if it was wet out or dry, and i tried many brands of belts. I then found this ACDelco brand and bought and installed and have never had a slipping or squealing problem since and this is about 1 year later.
I'll try that today, might park the GN until this storm passes.

Does the PS pump pulley spin freely? Could be gummed up bearings too.

Does the PS pump pulley spin freely? Could be gummed up bearings too.
No issues with ps pump. It only happens when I hit a water puddle. I'm gonna try new belt and locktite belt dressing and monitor.

If all else I will fabricate a plastic splash guard onto my 3 piece frame brace. That should net me 4 extra HP!

It's normal in larger (deeper) puddles or long poor drainage areas, especially at speed. :eek::jawdrop:;):(

I'd guess it could be worse with a front mount?, but never had one.....

It's normal in larger (deeper) puddles or long poor drainage areas, especially at speed. :eek::jawdrop:;):(

I'd guess it could be worse with a front mount?, but never had one.....
Ya, I got a front mount and poor drainage. I didn't want to fabricate anything that would block air to keep temps down, but I'll make something.

I always had negative results with belt dressings. Clean all the pulleys and both sides of the belt with alcohol.
Good luck

Clean dry belts . Dressings are temp band aids at best.
Proper belt , proper tension, pulleys in good condition and you should not have issues.

Good luck

Back