You can type here any text you want

Squeak From Rear Wheel Bearing?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Keep in mind that I've only had this car for 10 days. So,I'm finding things.

There is a squeak coming from the rear of the car. It gets louder on left turns. Goes away in right turns. It is unaffected by brake application. The rear end has clean fluid. (I checked). It starts making the noise after 5 miles or so. Also,it is in synch with wheel rotation.

If I grab a rear wheel while the car is on the ground,and shake it in and out,there is a thunk. But that should be normal,I believe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. ...I've heard the words "Nice car!" so many times in the last 10 days,I lost count!

May be bad U-joint. If that's the problem, fix immediately!!! Don't ask me how I know, let's just say it was a long walk from the highway on ramp after hitting second gear!!!

Pull and check the drums and shoes. Could be the seal weeping gear oil on the brakes and causing a squeak

What size tires do you have on the back?

I've got 215-65-15's all around. They are Eagle GT II's that,judging from the date,are about 8yrs old. There's still about 75% tread on 'em.

**Update: I went for a 30mi round-trip ride today,listening for the squeak/squeal. All was silent for the first 15 until I made a tight left-hand turn from a stop. Now it sounds to me like it is coming from the LR drum. Something must have broke in there. Maybe the self adjuster cable broke,and one end is jammed in there. ??

It was one,LOUD metal-to-metal scrapeing sound. Then it went away,but seemed to come back a little when I hit a bump.

I'll be pulling the LR wheel off very soon.

Q: Is there a trick to removing the center cap? I don't want to just go prying on it.

I appreciate everyones input.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN,mostly stock. I've owned it for 11 days now.

I've got 215-65-15's all around. They are Eagle GT II's that,judging from the date,are about 8yrs old. There's still about 75% tread on 'em.

**Update: I went for a 30mi round-trip ride today,listening for the squeak/squeal. All was silent for the first 15 until I made a tight left-hand turn from a stop. Now it sounds to me like it is coming from the LR drum. Something must have broke in there. Maybe the self adjuster cable broke,and one end is jammed in there. ??

It was one,LOUD metal-to-metal scrapeing sound. Then it went away,but seemed to come back a little when I hit a bump.

I'll be pulling the LR wheel off very soon.

Q: Is there a trick to removing the center cap? I don't want to just go prying on it.

I appreciate everyones input.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN,mostly stock. I've owned it for 11 days now.

To remove the center cap I just hit it with the palm of my hand sideways to calk(the other spelling isn't allowed) it a little then grab and pull. Do not take lug nuts off first, cap comes off first.

Well,I found the cause of the intermittent squeal. Half of the material on one of the shoes on the right side came off. When I took the drum off,about 10 pieces of braking material fell out. So,pieces of shoe were getting jammed up in there.
The shoes are thin anyway.

I took the other side apart also. In there was a broken spring. It fell to the floor.

Both wheel cyls show slight seepage,but are not wet.

Q: Are aluminum drums avail? Mine are cast iron. What is the weight differences?

I might as well put new whl cyls in. I looked on the back of mine. No bleeders??

My brakes have been converted to vac.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. ...off the road until it gets rear brakes.

I might as well put new whl cyls in. I looked on the back of mine. No bleeders??

There are bleeders...they're just recessed a little bit with a rubber cap over them. You will need a socket to loosen them. :)

Well,I found the cause of the intermittent squeal. Half of the material on one of the shoes on the right side came off. When I took the drum off,about 10 pieces of braking material fell out. So,pieces of shoe were getting jammed up in there.
The shoes are thin anyway.

I took the other side apart also. In there was a broken spring. It fell to the floor.

Both wheel cyls show slight seepage,but are not wet.

Q: Are aluminum drums avail? Mine are cast iron. What is the weight differences?

My brakes have been converted to vac.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Unless this is an all out race car don't bother with aluminum drums. Not much benifit.

Looks like the drums of choice are new cast iron. Hopefully I'll have everything squared away by the weekend.

Thanks!

ARRGH!! That clip! ..that round clip with the tabs that holds the wheel cyl on. I've got 2 other GM cars that have that <censored> clip.

Is there a tool for that? There *has* to be a better way.

I did get the right side on. ..and am dreading the other side. But I'll get it.

New FE drums,hardware kit,whl cyls,etc. I tried the best I could to get USA made. Yeah,good luck. Chinese drums on a GN. The NAPA guy admitted it is just plain wrong. lol

The shoes are USA made.

Will hope to finish this brake job soon as time permits.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. .. Getting a rear brake job.

ARRGH!! That clip! ..that round clip with the tabs that holds the wheel cyl on. I've got 2 other GM cars that have that <censored> clip.

Is there a tool for that? There *has* to be a better way.

I did get the right side on. ..and am dreading the other side. But I'll get it.

New FE drums,hardware kit,whl cyls,etc. I tried the best I could to get USA made. Yeah,good luck. Chinese drums on a GN. The NAPA guy admitted it is just plain wrong. lol

The shoes are USA made.

Will hope to finish this brake job soon as time permits.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. .. Getting a rear brake job.

IIRC...Get behind the retainer curved clip form teh pumpkin side with a allen wrench, scratch awl or small stem screw driver and bend it out then it should give up holding

Back