You can type here any text you want

Stage 2 with ac ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

434nova

Can it be done with stage 2 heads and keeping the ac ? I read a few threads but really didnt get a straight answer.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ask Norbs about AC and Stage heads. Or just look at his thread on his build.

I did look at it. And he went through hell but I would like to keep the ac and be looking stock to the untrained eye. Other than him anyone know of anyone else with success ?

Nick Micale has a setup that gives you more room, believe me you need more room, also Neal (750 hp v6)has done it , but the headers are of the factory log desig to make room for the AC. The heater box is needs to be cut no matter what you do, if its the stocker. My headers are like the ATR design and are equal length, this provided huge challenges to make it work.

Hey norbs would you have had any issues with the heater box and ac if you would have ran a ta or champion head ? Thanks

The main issue with stage 2 heads is valve cover removal with the AC box. Factory style heads would most likely fit better without as much extensive modification to the box.
AG

Hey norbs would you have had any issues with the heater box and ac if you would have ran a ta or champion head ? Thanks

No Issues, and you will be running just as well.......with the right parts to match those heads.

Running AC on a stage headed motor is not a huge problem ,heck there is a guy on here that has a twin turbo with AC. The problem is on the passenger side, using the modified heater core plate like ATR used to make to give you more clearance with the tall valve covers. With the older style Stage 2 valve covers that were rounded ( with the 6 and the word BUICK on it ) I had some wiggle room, the newer design that had the 6 in the middle of the valve cover, never worked correctly. My stage 2 headers were made to be slightly higher on the pax side for 3 1/2" down pipe clearance, they were originally twin turbo headers with a "ram horn" made into a single. I think they were made by some one in Conley's crew, they were used when I got them. I will see if I can dig up some pics when I get home.

I just have you look at your video...evidence enough!

So here is one for the gurus. If I run a set of champion gn1 heads can I run a off center intake on a on center block ? Can the off center intake be modified to fit or do I need to run a on center intake ?

The off center can be made to fit. I think the off center stuff may be a little harder to come by. The 109 guys would buy it in a heart beat if it was the GN1 intake as well. I would check on the availibility of the on center intakes and just buy one of those. For the record my stage 2 tunnel ram was an off center to begin with and the whole intake was cut in half and welded down the center to make an on center intake.

A champion on center intake is $750 with fuel rails and plenum. By the time you hand port a stocker to match the in center config, add a 70mm plenum, add a spacer and buy a set of fuel rails you'll be well over $750.

That's what I was thinking, I would just get the on center and be done with it.

Well since were on a role with answers here is one? Will a hydraulic billet roller cam and lifters I am using in my 109 block work in my stage 2 block or is it a different cam and lifters all together. And also will any headers work for a 109 on a stage 2 ? Is it just the crossover pipe that needs to be modified? Am I correct on that. Thanks for all the help guys.

Well since were on a role with answers here is one? Will a hydraulic billet roller cam and lifters I am using in my 109 block work in my stage 2 block or is it a different cam and lifters all together. And also will any headers work for a 109 on a stage 2 ? Is it just the crossover pipe that needs to be modified? Am I correct on that. Thanks for all the help guys.

Yes, the roller cam stuff works. You may need an extra .120" thick spacer to get the distributor drive gear to line up correctly depending on what you do for a front cover. Watch the used stage blocks as some have had the lifter bores opened up. The heads may require more pushrod clearancing in an on ceneter than a 109. I used offset solid roller lifters. You'll also have to pay attention to lifter oil feed with a stage block and hyd. lifters.

Yes, any headers work and I'm willing to bet no crossover mods are needed. Deck height and head gasket thickness have more affect on the crossover than the shifting of the heads.

With the question about your headers, you were talking about using the GN1 heads on a stage block and not stage 2 heads correct?

Back