Stage Block Question

ROYAL_6

I am intrested in buildig a stage motor, but just wanted to find out a little bit more information before i go down that rout. What is the diffrence between a stage 1 and a stage 2 motor?? what is the diffrence between the off-center and on centers motors? is there any web page that i can go to , too find information about stage motors?? thanks......:biggrin:

Any one out there with any information for me???? any where were i can look up the information about stage 1 and 2 motors?? thank you for your time

First, Find a copy of the Buick PowerSource Manual

I think I bought mine from a local dealership, so check to see if it is still in the parts system. I haven't seen my copy for a few years, but you'll end up reading it from cover to cover. It was written when those were the days for Buick power, and is still the definitive reference. Then go forward and prosper.

Do a search here and you will find all your answers.

Basically a Stage 1 is a beefier production block. You can add the extra head bolt holes. The mains are 2 bolt.

There are different variations of Stage 2 motors. Stage 2 is has different oiling, 14 bolt head bolts, the center mains are 4 bolt (some are crossbolted instead) and list goes on. Like I said do a search.

On-center motors, the banks are shifted .120-.125 to put the rod in line
with the pistons.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

another question, did this stage blocks come off other buicks... what im trying to ask, is... like a big block chevy motor, 427, 454s, they basically can be found in trucks and other vehicles.... is it the same for stage motors????

Nope. Stage engine blocks were not production pieces. They had to be purchased built and installed into whatever you wanted them for.

No, it was a factory race block. You ordered the block from the dealer. The performance side of Buick is/was known as Buick Motorsports (BMS). The performance parts have long been discontinued. There are still some stuff still available from left over stock.

I know the aluminum Stage 2 heads are still available new from the dealer. Also is the BMS hub.

Page from the BMS catalog.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/guidepics/partspage.JPG

Look on the block guide link and you will see the differences.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com