Stage build?

UNDRPSI

I have scrapped the styock block idea and here are the parts I have reaquired. Stage 1 block 40 over w/ steel mains. 3.060 steel crank. 6.5 Corrillo Rods. Stage 2 steel heads untouched never run. Here are my questions as I am ignorant to most of the stage requirements. How much extra cost am I going to be in if I decide to use the destroked crank over stock? I know I will have to have a set of pistons built and the rotating assymbly ballanced but what about the balancer and pulley set up? I dont believe I will use the stage 2 heads because of cost (intake, headers...). I will probably use a set of GN1s. Hopefully the use of GN1s over the S2s will keep the usefull power down in the rpm range also. What would be a good cam with this setup and what are your overall opinions of this combo? This is a street car that will be driven to the track on the weekends.

Is this a 3.8 or 4.1 block? If it's a 3.8, I would hold out for a bigger crank. You'll be down on cubic inches and the motor will have to rev to make power; not the best thing for a street car.

The costs will be similar either way; with the 6.5 rods your pistons will need to be custom regardless. You could use a stock crank, balancer and flywheel, and keep it externally balanced to save a few bucks. Your rods won't work with this combo though if they are wide journal (.850" width or so for stock & narrow journal, .890" or so for wide journal). Good luck!

It is a 3.8 block and after doing some research I have found a few cars going as fast as i will ever want this car to go with S1 block and stock internals. So I guess i will have a couple of destrocked cranks and a virgin set of stage 2 heads for sale. Thanks for the input.

Greg, Is that you? It's been a while.. Hope things are good in Jasper..
Later..

It is me. Who are you? Things are good here. They would be better if I could find anyone to do machine work on one of these engines. I am patiently waiting to get the car back on the street.