You can type here any text you want

stage headed street cams

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chevyII

I did a search and notice most guys running around 230 to 240 duration cams. Most were Gn1 heads though. What is a medium sized cam for a 274 stage headed engine. The turbo will be a 76S. it will mostly be street driven so spooling is a factor. The car is only 2750-2800Lbs with a 10.5W sized rear tire. Not looking to break a speed record but I think 155Mph trapps would be nice. The cam being replaced was a solid 255/255 with a .650 lift. I dont think this cam is to much but the lift I think would be hard on springs and lifters.

Well I think it pretty much boils down to... how high do you want to spin it? 9000 rpm? 230-240 is probably too small then ;)

TurboTR

Time for an introduction:
Mr. Tim Cole. Employer: Comp Cams. Speciality V6 Stage Motors. He's your man.
I've got your combo and Tim suggested the cam I've decided to use. No it hasn't crossed a curb yet but maybe this winter...

:biggrin:

Pay close attention to the spring recommendations you get from Tim Cole. He is right on the money! It takes alot more spring pressure to run a S2 headed turbo engine than you might think.

Dave

Also...

I'm guessing you are using T&D Rockers... if you havn't sent them to Larry and crew to get checked, please do. Most of the stage parts are well worn. Some pieces can be reconditioned. In my case... junk. The only thing useable was the shafts. :rolleyes:

One of the factors that goes into the size of the cam is the cam blank itself. For $800 comp would have ground it to any specs I wanted. The $800 was because they would have started with a round lobe core which would be a custom core that wasn't heat treated yet.
I went with an off the shelf already roughed in and heat treated core. Because of this they can only grind it down so much w/o breaking through or getting the heat treated layer to thin. I called to order mine 224/224 and wound up with Tim recommending 230/230 to help with this. Also the lobe separation angle plays into how small they can grind it. A wider LSA means the duration will have to be larger to avoid this same problem. Using an off the shelf core will get the cam price into the $300 range.

Just passing on some of the stuff I found out when I ordered mine.

Jason

Well, I've got a 222/218 hydraulic roller, based on Tim Cole's recommendations. And it was a $300 off-the-shelf blank, I guess.
Full-weight car, 274 S2, 9:1 cr, T-76 BB, 9-inch 3400 NLU 200-4R.

Spool-up and response are very quick, and I probably have too much low end power- could've gone a little bigger on the cam. But I have fully ported S2 heads (2.125/1.650), and five years ago, everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY was saying you just couldn't run S2 heads on the street because they'd be too doggy on the low end RPMs. Well, everybody was wrong. :)
I also have a .69 AR turbine housing, so I may go up to an .81 or .96 to give up a little bottom end power. Lot's of options, right?

You gonna LOVE those S2 heads, Chevy II. BTW, they run real cool (mine do, anyway) so you may want to go with a 180 T-stat instead of a 160.

chevyII said:
I did a search and notice most guys running around 230 to 240 duration cams. Most were Gn1 heads though. What is a medium sized cam for a 274 stage headed engine. The turbo will be a 76S. it will mostly be street driven so spooling is a factor. The car is only 2750-2800Lbs with a 10.5W sized rear tire. Not looking to break a speed record but I think 155Mph trapps would be nice. The cam being replaced was a solid 255/255 with a .650 lift. I dont think this cam is to much but the lift I think would be hard on springs and lifters.

Good Recomendations above......but...

I would just call :

Dan Strezo at DLS Engine Development--219-956-3653

Just my .02 ;)

Joe

Dan at DLS or Ken Duttweiler 805-659-3648 are good choices.

The good news is, since the S2 heads flow so much more I think you can get away with less duration than an equivalent production-based heads effort.

TurboTR

Back