Stage II 86 GN for Sale

TurBording

`
I recently flew down to LA with a friend to look at this car after running across it on eBay and sending the owner a $2000.00 deposit. It was eBay item #4550055584. I decided not to purchase the car as it was simply too much car for what I was looking for as it is modified to the extent that I had concerns about getting back it into Canada, getting it through a formal DMV inspection and then getting it licensed for the street. Without this it would forever end up being a trailered track car which is not what I need in order to have a little fun on the streets. I don't even own a trailer so this would be a bad start. I am also looking for something more spicey than my existing 2,600 mile 87 which I cannot have unless I start dicking around with this low-mileage original which would be simply dumb.

The owner (Michael Clements) was a great guy to deal with and he kindly and immediately refunded my deposit without me even asking when I said this car was not the car for me. Who does that for you these days, especially after holding the car on deposit for two weeks? Michael said he was not very web savvy so I said I would help him get the word out on his car by putting pictures and a description up on our corporate webserver.

You can see the car at: http://www.cybrus.net/86GNStageII/default.htm

My personal opinion on this car is that this car is exactly if not more than advertised. It was built for street racing, has won all but one race according to the owner and lost a second only as the result of a failed transmission (long ago upgraded). This car is simply white-knuckle fast even on pump gas and low boost. We did not run it on C16 and 40 lbs as I think I now know just how fast I want to go now in a car as a passenger. The car was claimed to have previously run very low 9's but not been back to the track since the addition of several additional items like a new Turbonetics ball-bearing turbo, new BGC manifold, new fuel rails rebuilt SX fuel pumps etc. High 8's would not be unreasonable for this car if properly dialed in.

This car is all there, runs fine [runs nasty actually] and is what you would expect from someone at the end of a ten year run in the street-racing scene. The car is not a show car, is not meant to be one, is relatively straight but could use a little TLC here and there to make it pristine such as a headliner, a kick panel, a few minor dents dollied out, a repaint of the roll cage etc. No surprises here from what I could tell after looking over the car and going for a ride. The car is worth the $25K asking price if this is the type of car you are looking to build just for the parts. Just a few minutes with an Excel spreadsheet had me well past $50K in parts and pieces if you were to go out and buy a car plus the parts needed to build this machine. $50K - $75K plus and two years of work and waiting would be a reasonable guess to replace this car once you were all done. That being said, you would also have a new car versus used. You will also still have nearly $50K left in your pocket. :)

The car has been run, continues to run well but like all high-performance cars comes with no guarantee. If I had bought the car I might be inclined to give it a minor strip down and winter check over just to make sure everything was still happy inside but it could also run fine for another decade untouched. I'm just a little anal about maintenance. The only thing it needed the day I was out there that I could tell was a fix in a leaking valve cover gasket. I did not drive the car myself and did not have it up on a hoist so my impressions are those as a passenger and someone with good mechanical knowledge doing a listen and a walk-around inspection.

I though about buying the car just for the parts and using these parts to build something a little less wild for my own purposes but it would be a total shame to take this fully-running and complete Stage II car apart. I also have no time at this point in my life to take on a full Stage II project.

If you are looking for a Stage II car I would suggest you give Mike a call. He was very straight up and accommodating about the car and about doing business. So, if you are thinking Stage II this car might be worth a call and a look see.

It's guaranteed you would be next tountouchable on the street if you were running this weapon. Say hi to Mike if you call.

It's no Sunday afternoon smooth Buick luxury ride but you can certainly navigate traffic and Michael said 20 and 30-mile trips on the freeway were not an issue.